Intermittent hesitation and stalling

Discussion in '8-valve' started by eddiedebo, Oct 2, 2022.

1. eddiedebo Forum Member

I'm getting an inconsistent and intermittent hesitation and occasional stalling of the engine.

It can be quite a violent and sudden cut of power sometimes and other times just a slight hesitation/misfire. Today it stalled at round 40mph, but jump started itself after a few seconds.

I've changed the lift pump and fitted a new fuel filter but it's made no difference. The main fuel pump is noisy but it has been for some time.

Does this sound fuel or ignition related?

Most of the ignition parts are fairly new apart from the coil.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

next time it happens, watch the ignition lights and listen out for the fuel pump. do the ignition lights go dead as if you've turned the key off, and does the fuel pump run on for a few seconds after it cuts. also does the rev counter go erratic or just straight to 0

3. eddiedebo Forum Member

Hi John
    The ignition lights flash as though you have turned the key to ignition on position. They do not go completely dead.
    The rev counter just drops straight to 0.
    It was difficult to hear the fuel pump as it happened at speed.
    Generally it doesn't seem to happen at low speed so it very difficult to diagnose in a split second when it happens on public roads.

4. rubjonny

I'm leaning towards hall sensor, but check the wiring to it as well as the plug temrinals and crimps under the rubber boot as well. just a general check over of the harness couple earths to head and to battery in the engine loom that are worth looking over in particular

check fusebox for corrosion damage particularly on fuel relay and fuse sockets, ecu relay also a possibility if its a digifant is it a ce1 or ce2

5. eddiedebo Forum Member

Checked it all over and it all looked ok.

But I seem to have fixed the problem.

Thought I'd try chucking some spare parts I had laying around at it to see if it made any difference.

First thing I changed was the distributor cap and HT leads over to a spare set and went out for a test drive and the problem seems to be gone.

So I'm not sure which was the culprit but hopefully it's sorted. I'll keep monitoring it

But thanks John got me thinking it could be something other than the fuel pump. If it plays up in future I'll switch to a spare dizzy.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  6. rubjonny

good stuff :)