Is 5 stud conversion worth it?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Anj, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Anj

Anj Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys, after some advice yet again.
    Of all the wheels on the mk 3/4 cabrio I personally think that Porsche d90 or the 928 16” look the best. Most stud adapters I have seen (second hand) seem to be 5x 100 - 5x130. Are the 4x100 adapters as strong as the 5x100? Given the stud placement? Or am I overthinking this and should just crack on and get 4x100 to 5x130?

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

To convert to 5 stud you would need mk3 gti/vr6 front wishbones, hubs, brakes, anti roll bar and track rods. Then rear set up too.
    Or get hubs redrilled.
    People do use the adaptors.

3. Adamss24 Forum Member

You get wider track if going for vr6 front suspension...I would get the knuckles, a set of coilovers of your choice and they will also let you upgrade brakes to 256/280mm front brakes !
    I do not condone the use of adapters, usually they came made from alloy with steel inserts- dont go for the cheap ones with aluminium threads, they will fail sooner or later ! I used deltamic steel adapters in my c5 allroad when i upgraded to 20" wheels to clear the rs4 b7 brakes and to give me the required ET, the car looked and handled really well !

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

since its a mk3 cabrio he's already wide track, but its worth remembering that the 5 stud setup pushes the brakes closer to the wheels so depending on the wheels you may need spacers. on that note if using adaptors either way you have to take into account the thickness of them as well.

to do it 'properly' you need the complete running gear from a 5 stud mk3 as mentioned, this does mean you get the better geometry for the proper 5 stud kit over 4 stud so theres that but on the negative side it means dropping the subframe to get the roll bar in. unless you're very lucky and find a set of B4 passat 5 stud wishbones those work with the mk3 5 stud bearing carriers but you can keep your 4 stud roll bar

dodgy likes this.
  5. dodgy

Wasn't 100% on if the cabrio was mk3 widetrack, for some reason thought was like the caddy/ibiza, apologies, did think you would confirm though @rubjonny , thank you.
    So don't need track rods to extend rack, just rest of it.

6. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

I could be way off here, but I think MAPCO have a “special parts” catalog that includes 4x100 to 5x100 conversion hubs/carriers. So all you need to do is swap the hubs and the rest stays the same.

like I said, I haven’t looked into it in detail but had been told this. Link to catalog is below so might be worth looking into.

https://www.mapco.com/en/special-parts/

dodgy likes this.
  7. dodgy

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  8. dodgy

As a thought, I know the 5 stud vr6 drive flanges fit mk2 front bearings, so could you then run a vr6 outer cv joint on standard shafts?

Inner 30 spline same, outer 36 instead of 22 spline, just a slight difference in overall length of the cv.

Screenshot_20220426-220339_eBay.jpg
    Mk2

Screenshot_20220426-220548_eBay.jpg
    Mk3 4 stud

Screenshot_20220426-220736_eBay.jpg
    Vr6 mk3.

9. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

10. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

IMO, no.

11. dodgy

Yeah, a little difficult. But I think it showed the front 22 spline 5 stud hub as a mk3 syncro rear??
    Got to log in to get prices etc, saw complete hub on ebay, but about 300 a pair.
    46724/5 is part number for drive flanges

To fitting cv on shafts?

12. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

To fitting widetrack, my phone didn’t load half of the posts when I clicked reply

dodgy likes this.
  13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what you need to bear in mind if you press 5 stud hub to 4 stud carrier is the only factory fit disc for this is the early b3 passat vr6 one which came like this factory. so its either that, or re-drill 4 stud discs. also bear in mind if you use a mk3 5 stud hub its actually larger outer diameter than the passat 5 stud hub and the normal 4 stud ones so passat vr6 or re-drilled 4 stud discs may not fit wiithout machining out the inside as some of them are too small to fit over the larger OD mk3 hubs

dodgy likes this.