Jerky Valver

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Pete Taylor, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Pete Taylor Forum Member

K&N are sending me a proper one to cap it off in the next couple of days :) For 4 quid though.. Never mind, at least it'll seal it all up properly!

Going to order some more hose next week to replace that fuel regulator hose, while i'm at it.. are there any more hoses I can replace?

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

1 metre of hose can do both the ecu one and fuel pressure reg.

there is a grommit in the middle of the bulk head (by the coil) you can shortcut the ecu hose through there and use the rest for the fuel pressure reg lol

the cap will help too.

your plugs sooty at all?

3. Pete Taylor Forum Member

The spark plugs were replaced about a month ago but I can take one out and take a pic I guess

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

just have a look. if they are sooty then it is definatley running rich. the richness is some sort of safe mode created by those vac hoses being dead (for example) and other sensors too

5. Pete Taylor Forum Member

i'll go get my tracking and camber done now it's been lowered (mate at garage tenner mwuhaha) then get some more clips for hose, do the second hose, take pic of spark plug, wash and wax car, then get sig done for forum. Quite a productive day!

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

day off? lol

7. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Indeed haha (work 4 on 4 off). Just got back from sorting the tracking (drives like someones put a Fiat girly button in it now), changed the pressure reg hose and just taken a pic of one of the plugs... Considering they were all changed a couple of months ago I think they're stupidly black!!

[​IMG]

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

correct-a-roony.

ok. like i said they go black, it runs a bit rough.... will be doing about 240miles a tank too a bet lol

onces youve got the vac side of it done... clean them and then we'll start again lol

9. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Cool cool, anything specific I should be cleaning them with. Still running a bit rough at the moment after changing the fuel regulator vac hose! The help is much appreciated by the way!

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

wire brush... thats about it really. did you do the spit thing to make sure they werent leaking?

11. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Yup no leaks, i'll go home in a bit and give them a scrub up, hopefully they'll be easy enough to do as they're not that old

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the last leak might be the black hose that went to the air box.

good luck

13. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Just been cleaning up the spark plugs, popped out number one, cleaned up nicely, back in.. same with 2 and 3....

Took the lead off number 4... the cap is hanging off the lead with wires loosely placed inside!! Took some real effort to get the plug out too.. this might also explain the poor running.. AAARGh!

14. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Might explain the vibrating like acceleration and the slow burbly Subaru sounding pickup. Have the rev the knackers off it to get any form of pickup in the next gear. Going to have to wait until next week for some new leads, ran out of money now!

15. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Well I got the cap from K&N and fitted that, still not made much difference. I've bodged the HT lead back in temporarily so it's firing on the last cylinder. Got some Magnecor 8.5mm red leads coming next week (at the cost of just under 130 squid!!!).

Replaced one more vacuum hose I found that was broke, although I couldn't tell you what hose it was! It's the white one you can see just above the dipstick. Made an improvement but still not running properly. Yesterday I had a specific earth grounding kit fitted to the car. Lots of lovely red cables which really make a difference! There's a guy that lives down the road from me that makes and sells the kits and wanted to use my car as a prototype so he can start making golf kits, that means all the cables, gold connectors and fitting were completely free! Still awaiting my new injectors, ECU chip and K&N cleaning kit. Hopefully these will make a bit more of a difference. And yes my spark plugs are still turning black! Getting really annoying, almost to the point where I just want to sell it and buy a newer VW. But then I think of all the effort that's gone into it so far..

This is an outside and engine bay shot I took today..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

good score. the earthing made a nice difference on mine... would be interesting to see what is earthed on yours (dont have pics turned on at work).

you paid a lot for the leads mate. if youve not received them yet id cancel it... i doubt youll gain a thing.

get the plugs out. clean them up and run it again for a while and let us know if theyre staying black.

next step is looking for electrical issues

17. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

Does the bloke down your road do kits for carb models? I've love some of those shiny red cables in my golf!

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

why arnt they black?

earth cables are black...

19. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

....but red ones look nicer and make the car go faster. Got to be at least 10bhp added there ;)

20. Antichav Forum Member

Hmmmmmmmmm might have a gander at my ABF hoses then!
    My air intake sensor was shorting, 25 for a replacement, I assume it's working as I can't notice the slightest bit of difference.

Matt - does your ABF 'woosh' when you plant it? some days mine does, some it doesn't although it seemed to not do it just after I replaced the sensor.. might be me just being paranoid!

One other thing, on start up mine revs quite high and then drops - it's done it since I've had it, but I assume it's not supposed to do that right?

We should start a 'AMAABFS' (as matt about abfs) thread! :lol: