Jerky Valver

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Pete Taylor, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

lol... by woosh do you mean absolutely rocket down the road like its just been hit by a meteorite? if so, yes, mine does.

if we are talking about a wooshing sound, then no, mine doesnt
    if its a wooshing sound of air rushing then check that the air intake temp sensor is in properly and the c-clip secured. maybe a problem with teh ISV. not come across one with a wooshing sound before.

and yes, red items do make more power, for example, my bumper pin stripe.

as for high revs. when mine starts they go almost immediately to 1100rpm and slowly make their way down.

could be that your ISV is sticky, hence the wooshing noise and hence the revs go high when starting.

get the mofo and spray a bunch of brake cleaner in there and leave it for a while to soak in and get rid of the crud.

2. Antichav Forum Member

duh-- idle valve [:$]

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mk3s 16vs dont have the conventional idle valve. its an idle stabilisation valve, it allows air in etc and controlled by magic (no one knows how its controlled.....)

4. Antichav Forum Member

is that the one under the ht lead holder - should it buzz?

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yes sir. when you turn on the ignition it will buzz etc. it has an valve in there, actuated electronically at different times (ie keeps the idle right)

6. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Going to go buy some brake cleaner today and clean up the ISV and the air intake sensor. Any other sensors or plugs etc i could be cleaning up at the same time?

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

on the gearbox side of the head there is a two pin white plug. thats the ecu water temp sensor. make sure the connectors are clean and that the wiring shows 5v across the pins.

8. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Well i've cleaned all them up nicely and greased up my throttle cable so the pedal feels a lot better now. Still got the bloomin jerkyness and overrun though. Getting quite annoying now. Hooked up the VAG Com to it today aswel and that doesnt seem to want to work these days. One controller it thinks is a 1956 3.5 digifant or something and the rest it can't find controllers for!

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

where did you get that ?

10. Antichav Forum Member

Ahhh overun so that's what its called - there's me thinking it was just the way I drive!

Pete mine does that to, where you go to change gear and the revs just jump up ever so slightly right?

You guys are shattering my illusion of an engine in good nick! :p

11. Pete Taylor Forum Member

First I thought it was me just driving it retarded and leaving my foot on the accelerator when pushing the clutch down, but other people have drove it and say the same thing.

The engine as a whole seems to be running a lot better now but still the jerkyness and my plugs are still turning black. I've put my new spanking HT leads on and also used my K&N recharge kit and gave the cone filter a good clean up and re-oil. I'm hopeful that my VAG com will be working in the next couple of days so I can run a full diagnstic on the engine. If that shows no faults I've got a feeling it's going to be relay changing followed by dizzy cap and rotor arm?

12. shane d Forum Member

Sooty plugs eeh. Did you get the emissions/CO checked??

13. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Ermm nope not had that suggested. Is there some sort of adjustment to be made? It reeks of petrol all the time too

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

so youve done the vac hoses, did you check the ecu water temp sensor?

have you sprayed a bit of WD40 in the fuel pressure reg?

15. suttonval Forum Member

Having read this thread i think you need to donate your engine to me and Matt for abf research.

Mine does the whole overrun thing, when changing gears the revs rise slightly. Just something ive gotten used to. I do get that whooshing sound when really giving it some beans in the higher revs, but i think it sounds great.

The car goes like stink when it needs to, so im assuming all is well under the bonnet.

How many miles has the car covered Pete?? A dodgy HT lead that isnt making good contact will almost certainly cause problems. Is there any signs of arcing around the lead of burn marks near the top of that plug??

Might also be worth running a compression test on the car, so you can get an indication of how healthy it is.

16. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Car has just notched up 130k mate. I've put some brand new leads on so it's firing properly again but still the same prob. Vag com has got to be the next step really

17. suttonval Forum Member

ahhh cool. Your not a million miles away from me, have you driven any other valvers to compare it to??

Have you still got the original airbox??? That induction kit is just going to be making a noise, wont do anything for the performance. Put the original airbox back on and remove all the internals, route the hot air feed to somewhere cold.

18. Pete Taylor Forum Member

I cleaned up the contacts on the water temp sensor (that with the white plug on the right hand side of the block?) but didn't actually take the whole thing out, same with the fuel pressure regulator. If the water temp sensor is sensing coolant temp, am I going to get a load of coolant come out when i take the sensor out? I'll do both of them and find somewhere else for the hot air feed to direct. I bought the car 4 months ago and it came with the K&N already fitted. I do like the sound of it though.

Annoyingly the oil breather hose connected to my K&N keeps coming off because of the awkward place it has to sit to get to the filter so I think i'm going to have to find some big silicone tubes and replace.

If you're only in Sutton then feel free to have the car for research!

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  19. Pete Taylor Forum Member

This is a current pic of the bay ( i know the breather hose is off again! )

The green arrow points to the fuel pressure valve right?
    The blue arrow points to where the water temp sensor is?
    Any ideas on the pink arrow? Theres a black thing sticking out the top of the rocker cover under the HT lead. Not got a clue what it is!

[​IMG]

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

your right on those things. not sure what the pink one is either. could be a space to plug something on to test fuel pressure.

can you go measure the resistance across your air intake temp sensor? ive got a feeling mine is dead