Jerky Valver

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Pete Taylor, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Pete Taylor Forum Member

I'm at work at the moment i'm afraid mate. Just had a thought though.. am i going to have to take the inlet manifold off to get the fuel pressure regulator out?

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

no you dont. a screw driver gets rid of the c-clip and yuo wiggle it out from there.

you putting a new one in?

3. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Going to clean up the fuel pressure reg but all the symptoms are now leading towards the ECU temp sensor. Since changing the vac hoses, leads and cleaning the isv it does seem a lot better. The car runs a lot better from cold and I still have sooty plugs, when warm the engine sounds kind of bogged down. Quick retarded question though... How much coolant is going to pee out when i take out the sensor and is it possible to first clean it to try it?

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

to test it, put a multi meter on the two pins to see what the resistance is.

ive posted up a table before so youll have to search.

if thats ok, test to see if there is 5v across the wiring.

5. Pete Taylor Forum Member

I got my vag com working on everything but my abs (one of the 30amp fuses was hanging out at stopping it from reading from the controller) but showed no faults at all on the engine. Would the fault with the temp sensor not show up?

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yup, they definately do.

if the sensor is dead the ecu 'sees' -40* and subsequently goes 'eh?' lol

id test the sensor to be sure mate, no harm in doing so.

i recently found a fantastic vac leak on mine. yknow the hose that goes to the PCV, well the pcv is broken, you suck it and air just keeps passing and the valve dont move, hence vac leak.

i bunged the vac hose whilst i get a new pcv and its got even better throttle response, its really nice now.

.... ive got a feeling LAMBDA sensors tend not to show up on vagcom :S

7. Pete Taylor Forum Member

I read something about taking the lambda sensor out and if it runs better then that's the problem?

What's the pcv?

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the saucer thing at the start of the breather system. it has a valve in there that is actuated by inlet vacuum.

when i sucked on the vac hose to my pcv air just passed through and no valve actually did anything... therefore vac leak lol

9. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Going to test the ECU water sensor tomorrow as i've just borrowed my mates multimeter. One problem, what the hell do i set it to to test if its got 5v running through it!!?? Oh, and is there anything else I can be testing whilst i'm checking that and ABS sensors?

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you wanna test the resistance across the sensor. if hot, it should be about 330ohms (from memory, bare that in mind) and when cold (about 1600ohms) so youll set it to that range of resistance.

erm.... and the plug that plugs on to it needs to have 5v across the terminal to set the meter to dv voltage.

mine is so much better since i got rid of the pcv, my throttle response is basically linear now

11. Pete Taylor Forum Member

As soon as i get the running problems sorted i'll look at removing the PCV and get myself an oil catch tank. You'll have to put some pics up, maybe a DIY guide

12. Pete Taylor Forum Member

ECU water temp sensor has a feed to it of 4.97 V which is pretty much 5 i'd say. Tested the resistance then started the engine and watched it drop on the mutimeter. Must be working fine!

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

cant really do a guide as it's already plumbed in. simple job though. you need the catch tank (the one on ebay with 19mm connectors, 25. all the others are 10mm-13mm) and then some 19mm hosing (rad hose) and some 90* connectors (from an aquarium centre ;))

ill get some pics up asap though.