Jetta t-boned....gutted

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by pipster, Nov 22, 2009.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

when i came back in, your post about editing was there but so was that. anyways, all sorted now

2. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

TBH I bet 90% of the cars we own on this forum would be written off with damage like that, we all know what our cars are worth to us but to someone sitting on a computer typing out the claim we drive 20+ year old cars that aren't worth a rub of soap, sad but true [:^(]

3. pipster Forum Member

Exactly! plus a lot of the cars we own have had a lot of time and money spent to keep them mechanically sound and I bet a lot of them get through MOTs much easier than lots of newer cars as a lot of the components are generally new.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  4. pipster Forum Member

Got the car home this afternoon and had a good look, the sill has crumpled quite a bit near the B pillar and the B Pillar has moved about 10mm towards the passenger seat. The rear door is now touching the body by the rear arch!
    I think if I was to get this fixed up "on the cheap" I'd still be looking at a complete new cill aswell as doors and a lot of messing about getting the B pillar straight enough to hang the doors properly...Me thinks this is the end!

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

You need to know someone with some porta power rams to move the pillar back into place, for a bit of cash - that's your only on-the-cheap chance of a fix.

Otherwise it's big bills.

6. Dono Forum Member

ARRRGH don't take it to Wimpoles, my dad's ratty tatty travlin' skip 405 got reversed into years ago, insurance took it there, was never right since. really shoddy work.

7. pipster Forum Member

It's a right off mate!! [:^(] Unless you know anyone who will fit a full sill and push pillar out for peanuts!!!!! Had a good offer though, just waiting for the cheque and then breaking should commence!!!

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Which is great... it means you don't have lots of cash tied up in them, you can park them where you want, fix them with 2nd hand bits, and if someone scuffs your bumper, or even writes it off, it's not fun, but it's hardly the end of the world, is it?

Why anyone would want to park their bank account on the street every day, and dump 3 grand a year in standstill cost is beyond reason - mostly it's just vanity.

Shame about your car pipster. Try round a few backstreet bodyshops to see if they can straighten it, and fit a couple of 2nd hand doors. I imagine you could pick up the doors for 50 quid or less... maybe even the right colour?

Does it still drive straight?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  9. pipster Forum Member

Cheque arrived today!!! 1080 and I keep the car! :) Not bad for an old nail!!:p
    Trouble is I've been looking for something to replace it and there's fek all out there that takes my fancy that isn't 200 miles away or rusty!

10. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

OP, ask them if they'll do a contact repair rather than write it off, I've supplied a load of second hand parts to a bodyshop that was repairng a MK3 TDi estate that would otherwise have been written off.
    Also if your neck is hurting, you should go to the doctors and get it checked out.....

11. coalville dub Forum Member

i wanted my mk3 repaired but the insurance company wouldent have any of it after 3 week's of bartering with them they paid out 1605 on it . i would play on the fact that your a club member (as i did) and tell them what it's going to cost you to replace and dont give up good luck and stick to your gun's