JMR 020 gearlinkage system

Discussion in 'JMRacing' started by mr hillclimber, May 23, 2011.

1. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

These will be available very soon now as seen on the website... full pics & price as soon as the 1st batch come back from powdercoating... 2 weeks I'm told as of half hour ago.

This is a full new linkage system with new rods, piviots, brackets, joints, stick with built-in reverse lock-out/lift mechanism and nylon knob (ohh-err!)

It is designed for motorsport & trackday use but is userfriendly enough for road cars, though it wont fit if a std centre consol is still in place as one of the rods pass through the bulkhead.

The aim on price was to be at least half that of the only other MK1 020 linkage (that I know of) that is close in concept on the market.. the CAE shifter @ over a thousand euro's... or just over 900... so figure on around 450 or a bit under... with discount available again for club members/forum users.

I'd like to get a car around to some of the shows so people can sit in and have a feel (easy!)... the stick (notice how I avoided saying Knob to kerb the jokes!:lol:) falls to hand just below the steering wheel and from there on you have a very positive, fluid feeling gearchange with an almost, if not very, RWD "connected" feel to it... I'm "very" pleased with it.

For those that could be interested, leave a heads up on here so I can gauge interest and plan ahead for production volumes.

2. slim363

slim363 New Member

Very interested Jason.....although not sure about sitting in your car and feeling your stick :lol:

I know the quality will be spot on so looking forward to seeing pics :thumbup:

3. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Thats ok Kelvin I understand... it wont be my car!:lol:

Pics asap.

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

There is a pic on my website of the prototype in the car... the production stick has a reverse lift coller and boots to seal off the floor and bulkhead.

The CAE is a nice kit in terms of finish, but having driven one I thought it was a bit too short a throw and a little notchy for regular use, plus the price!

As soon as I can get some pics I will... I'll try and get some before they go off to be powdercoated.

6. Willber Forum Member

Will you be looking into a MK2 020 kit Jason?

7. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Yes indeed... I'm looking for a MK2 to build a demo car (providing I can sell one of my fleet!) to base some MK2 bits around... the 1st thing will be a gearlinkage.

8. Willber Forum Member

Good news! p.s. just seen a very cheap 90spec 3 door MK2 GTi for sale in Herts, not sure if thats the type of thing you're after?

9. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

How very cheap? [:D]!

Yeah a late big bumper model, any colour apart from green... white, grey, black, blue , red in that order...im not fussy!...I have method in my madness.

Dont mind 8 or 16v... in fact 8 would be better, again... I have a plan! ;)

10. Willber Forum Member

Pm'd you Jason :)

11. POL

pol Forum Member

2weeks is up... :)
    always been after one of those cae shifters but could never justify the cost.
    my homebrew mods work ok at the moment but would love something a wee bit better. looking forward to see the full spec on this!

12. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

It certainly is!

Spoke to my man today, he was on the way to collect them from the powdercoaters, and some of the smaller parts from the platers. The only thing left to sort is a quantity of springs for the reverse lift collar, then he's going to lay a kit up for pics, and then they're pretty much ready.

We'll be fitting up a kit into a car to check for any issues and to make a couple of templates for the bulkhead brackets. .then they're ready to go.

13. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Well... they're here!

The first pics of the new JMR gearlinkage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm off to fit and road test the first one tomorrow so I know how it goes together myself... road test results to follow. ;)

Priced at 435 on my website, but not to the CGTI massive!....to you...420, with further discounts available for quantities of 5 or over.

I'll need to price the carrige cost on this but I doubt it'll be cheap as it would have to go with insurance to cover the value, along with some decent packaging... I would estimate at least 25... poss more... I'll let you all know as soon as I know.

14. NicD Forum Member

Very interested, how difficult is it to fit?

15. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Not at all...

We fitted the first production unit earlier in the week. .When I say we..I took some photos while my fabricator fitted it, so we wernt exactly rushing..took an hour 'n' half. The big hole needed in the bulkhead was already done, along with 2 of the three mounting holes drilled for the top support of the pivot bracket..the rest is bolt together and small adjustment of the lower pivot of the stick to get the reverse gate clearance right.

Out on road test it feels even better than static in the workshop. .A fast, light and slick change with the lever falling to hand just below the steering wheel. .And with the reverse lock out/lift coller it's impossible to hit the reverse gategate however fast you change down accross the gate...I'm genuinely chuffed to bit how its turned out.

I'll get some fitted pics up when I transfer them.

16. slim363

slim363 New Member

My kit arrived the other day and i can honestly say that the pictures do not do it justice. The kit is really well made and looks and feels very solid

[​IMG]

Those eagle eyed amongst you will have spotted the motorsport style rear engine mount in the picture. This is yet another item produce by Jason, which again has the same build quality as the linkage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apart from the obvious advantages over the standard setup the mount is also specifically adapted to attach to the linkage giving extra support and is cheaper than other produces i have looked at.

As always Jason, quality products and a top service :thumbup:

17. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Err... you like it then kelvin? [:$]

You just need to fit it in the car, dummy up a gearbox, and you'll be getting yr meals served out to you as you wont be able to leave it alone! lol! :lol:

18. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

It'll look like this fitted...

[​IMG]

19. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

wondering if this would fit my mk2 16v lhd scirocco.. as its supersprint tubular exhaust manifold *might* get in the way, and it being lhd etc... Do you have any engine bay pictures of the box end you can post up. Looks nice tho :)

20. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Thanks Bill.

No.... not from that end but I'll take a few next time I'm with the car. The best I've got is these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That may give an idea of the space available down the back.

This may help better Bill...

[​IMG]

...though the rod in the pic is on the wrong side, but if you gauge roughly how far up off the lower rack mounts and accross a bit you should be able to get an idea... depends how far over the LHD manifold goes.

The other thing is the bulkhead and floorpan relationship....if it's identical in "all" ways to a MK1 Golf it'll fit, if the bulkhead slopes then the top part of the pivot bracket wont sit right.

The stick is set back a touch, but not as much as in a Scirocco... depends on how far back you sit.