JMR 020 gearlinkage system

Discussion in 'JMRacing' started by mr hillclimber, May 23, 2011.

1. pressuretested Forum Member

Jason,
    I emailed you too.

I need a quote for shipping so I can get the pricing together.

and yes, mk1 kits.

if you need some money for a mk2 O2A kit to help fund it lmk but we can talk more about that over email.

Thanks,
    Bryson

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Ok Bryson I'll take a look thanks.

I imagine they are, but, do you know for sure the USA Golf/Rabbit linkage is identical to the UK cars incase there are any clearance/fitment differences between LHD & RHD. And can you confirm 5-speed fitment also.

3. pressuretested Forum Member

Chris probably could answer that best. LHD or RHD no clue as I've only seen one RHD VW here ever. LHD, I don't see what the difference would be between a euro and a US on that. The euro specs we've had were the same.

4. RyanMac Forum Member

jason do you have a short video of your set up working.....

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

You mean the gearlinkage working Ryan?

If so, no short videos but a couple of long ones... Check out Sam Fish's vag trophy thread in the members section..most recent posts.

6. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Here is a picture of the system fitted in my car.
    Wish I had take pictures of it before it was fitted. It really is nice. It did't take too long to do, and pretty much no set-up. I fitted mine the afternoon before test day and didn't have to touch it all weekend.
    First gear used to be a stretch with the belts tight, now it is fine.

It is a chunk of money, but when you look at the kit it is very good value for what you get - let alone the development time.
    I am not sure if it made me much faster yet (A more advanced driver maybe) [:$] but it was alot more enjoyable to use and made me respect the gearbox a bit more - as I could actually feel what was going on with the internals.

I haven't tried a cable-converted shift, but I can't see how it could be any better than this set-up.

[​IMG]

Video here:
    [YOUTUBE]dmfls5-JbVw[/YOUTUBE]

7. samfish

samfish Forum Member

PS:
    Jason,
    The chap from Sadev Gearboxes UK was here the other day and was impressed by your linkage :thumbup:

8. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

That's encouraging Sam. .thanks for that! [:D]

Next time he pops in tell him I'll do him a deal on quantity if he starts making H pattern 020 dog boxes! :lol:

9. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Nearly finished installing the JMR kit (lack of time to do it in one go). Really cannot fault the design or implementation. Nice job Jason.

10. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Thanks alot Jon... I'm pleased as long as you are... hurry up! :lol:

11. Blue Flog New Member

Gear linkage

Jason,
    I have the standard heater and centre console installed in the rally car. Will the linkage miss the heater?
    Darcy

12. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Hi Darcy

The internal rod goes through where the bottom of the box is but it can be modded. PM Sam Fish on here, he modded his to clear so the screen de-misting function still works. You could also remove it compeatly and use a kit car type screen de-mist fan and save all the weight of the heater.

13. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I cut the bottom off my heater box... so cutting the heating element/radiator out. I then blocked off the bottom (fibreglass'ed, or could just be taped), so the air is still pumped round and up to the screen, it is just not heated. It took me maybe an hour to modify the heater box, but it could be done in 15 minutes if you just taped it up.
    I used the car on track before in the rain briefly with no heater connected, and didn't have a problem with demisting. Putting a smear of neat soap on the inside of the windows helps too :thumbup:

Im looking at kit car solution for next year. Or a more conclusive wet-weather test :) first.
    PS: These look good: http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180
    or this tiny one: http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=189

14. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Use motorbike anti fog spray. I can't recal the make I have but it would have been the cheapest [:$], get it from any motorbike shop or online.

I can do a whole day in the rain without having to touch the screen in the car and I don't have anything in the car in the way of heat or a blower. I did worry at first as the car is like a sieve anyway and as soon as it rains it's full of water. I don't worry at all now, well not about the screen, the elecrics, rust, wet seat, wet feet...crashing, yes, screen no :thumbup:

15. pressuretested Forum Member

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

Has anyone ever really weighed the fan/heater, unless your competing i would keep it myself.

17. pressuretested Forum Member

It's not a weight issue. It's about having a heater, defrost / defogger w the JMR shifter and a A/C equipped heater / blower box is heavier then a non A/C blower box assy.

18. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I reckon those Project 7 heater units (only being half kilo with fan) would save 4-5kg or so. They wouldn't be too much work to fit either, with it drawing air already inside the car - maybe a bit safer than behind the engine?
    Costs and weight benefits are probably equal to buying and fitting a race battery - which many people do I suppose.

19. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

20. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor