k jet experts ...AGAIN

Discussion in 'Engines' started by pigbladder, May 12, 2005.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Regarding my cold start issue... don't want to say too much in case I jinx it, but I think I might just have cracked it! [:D]

Will report back after further testing but it involved the fuel pressure gauge, replacing the WUR and performing my own DIY version of the Stealth WUR mod using some assistance from Mr Black & Decker powerdrill and a 4mm allen key :p

Fingers crossed!

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Yep - it's looking good. Last night with the replacement WUR fitted the cold control pressure steadily rose from 1 bar (14.5psi) up to 3.1 bar (45psi) when warm, that took around 3 mins.

The car seems to start fine from cold and run much smoother now. Just because I could I decided to take the WUR off again and drill the back like Steath do, then I adjusted it to give 3.3 bar (48psi) at hot idle.

Tried it again today from cold and the control pressure rises from 1 bar to 3.3 bar now over about 3 mins - smooth idle too! [:D]

Not counting my chickens or anything but I think I may have sorted a problem that's been plauging me for 6 months or more! Will report back after more testing but thanks to everyone that helped out, particularly 150pdgti, Golden, GTI, Pigbladder and Iguana for the WUR! :)
    Edited by: Stu

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Great news, keep us posted how it behaves over the next few days Stu [:D]

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Will do :) Just a couple of other little niggles to sort out and the car will be perfect again!

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Err yeh, mine too [:$]

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

okay..ive done some more work to it ;)

ive drifted the spigot to ajust the cold pressure to around 20psi, which i figured is about right for today

now...while warming up it "hunts" i think thats the term...the revs sound like broom broom :lol:but when its warmed a little, say 30 odd psi it settles to an even idle [:s]

one more question...the main control pressure, what effect does having it towards either end of the accepted range have to the running /drivability?

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

dunno if anyone is still following this [:s] [:^(]

anyway just been for a test drive and its the same..jerky/kangeroo when moving away from a cold start

thing is ive ajusted the shimms in the metering head and hot/cold wur pressure and NONE of these changes made a slight differance to my problem( it does seem a bit faster though :lol: )

so im thinking its sod all to do with the inj system [:$]

anyone got any ideas..something thats there in first few moments of running thats not when warm?

i just cant keep spending on it [:x]

9. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

PB - I'm still following it, don't worry! :p
    I will have a think and post up an ideas I have when I have them! At the moment I'm thinking a blockage in a fuel line, faulty pump or accumulator or similar but it's probably not of those things!

How about a vacuum leak somewhere that only occurs with a cold engine and heat expansion closes it off as the car warms up? It's a thought! ;)

10. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Have you actually swapped the WUR yet? If not, then you can't rule it out.

11. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah ive tried another wur..drives just the same

a vac leak does sound possible, ive changed all the flexi vac hoses and checked the rubber pipes

stu..if possible some time could you hook up the gauges and report back with a mfa outside temp and the readings every 15 secs, then i can do the same when its a similar outside temp :)

oh one more thing...the car has always revved to 2k on cold start, which im told should be nearer 1500..does this sound related to anything
    Edited by: pigbladder

12. bigfatpixey Forum Member

i dont know why but since i swapped my isv for another one(yesterday) the car not only idle's alot better when cold but it seems to run alot smoother too? its weired!

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah it kinda makes me wonder if the isv cant open quite enough when the engine needs it most

trouble is its a mugs replacing parts that way..and 2nd hand are often dud anyway
    Edited by: pigbladder

14. pigbladder Forum Addict

today i disconected the red/blk wire at the coil and test drove it

i managed to idle down my road with no jerkyness at all with no throttle

so that makes me think duff isv or controller( i have already swaped em both) any ideas how i can tell which one is dud?

i spose this eleminates the inj pressures [:$] although i wont speak too soon

15. vernon.liddell New Member

Try disconnecting the cold start valve altogether and starting the car from cold. I had the same symptoms and Stealth had the same success as they had with yours.

16. pigbladder Forum Addict

tried that mate [:D]its just had to start with the cold start off