K-jet Metering head rebuild....

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Pete17, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Pete17 New Member

Hello people,
    Having a bit of a memory issue here.
    I am putting one of my metering heads back together and have put the pin back in I'm not sure whether theres supposed to be a spring in there or not... i havent got any parts left over so...
    Just i noticed on some metering heads they do have springs but then the heads seem to very so much internally depending on application.
    My pin doesn't have a clip to keep it in place either so just uses the air flap to keep it in i think.
    I think I'm on the right track but just want to make sure.
    And this unit is off a 1.6 gti 0 438 100 059 / 049 133 353 j.

Thanks
    Pete. 20200614_101445.jpg 20200614_101520.jpg

2. Pete17 New Member

Turns out theres no spring on this model just the airflap arm thingy that holds the pin/plunger on.

Quite an interesting process of getting it started though. I fitted this metering head (from 1.6gti) to my 2.0 3a 8v engine and it would not start straight away...
    I had no idea where the CO setting screw was so i removed the injection pipes from the head, bridged the pump relay and turned the mixture screw to richen it until fuel came out the ports, then back off a bit.
    This method worked fine and the engine then started after refitting pipes/intake hose. I tweeked the mixture and idle screw a bit more to gain best idle by ear and is pretty good. Drives well and starts ok, maybe needs a wee tweaking but am pretty happy. Gas analyser needed next i think.
    System pressure was ok at 5.2bar
    Control pressure is at 3.6 bar...warm.
    All seems good for now... just need to get my wideband wired up.

Sirguydo likes this.
  3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Sounds like you know what you’re doing to me :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    I’d always been told the Kjet heads where temperamental after being pulled apart , but you got it working .:thumbup:

Pete17 likes this.
  4. Pete17 New Member

Yep i wasn't sure but opening them up to begin with but like most things it helps to understand how they work- its really very simple!

I do feel k-jet is pretty old now though.
    I literally just took in a mk1 golf dx to sort out and get running after a few years off the road and it always seems to be the same problems now..... 2x duff injectors leaking and WUR pressures all to pot causing poor starting an no stable idle...

All good fun though