K-Jetters, check your O rings!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by KeithMac, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Steve B Forum Junkie

keith how do you change injectors?

i ask because i have a spare 16v at home and that never had any running troubles (apart from being a real oil burner)

anyways i figured i may as well just swap over the injectors just incase the ones i have now are playing up

once i have the new rings might sort a few problems?

just wanna know how do you swap them around and how worried should i be at the fact that fuel may go everywhere lol! what should i expect?

cheers mate

2. Steve B Forum Junkie

keith are you sure these are correct as i just went to VW to order the seals

and the bottom seals were fine (i.e. the right number)

but he had a problem with the top seals, he said he could only order them in sets of ten, and i said well i only have four injectors and i only need four he said well i can only get them in 10, so i told him not to bother

??

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Deffo right numbers and I had no probs at the local dealers? To remove the injectors I just used a set of long needle nosed pliers with a 45 degree bend on the nose, plced them between the injector and head and just levered them out, the were really tight to get out! Don`t go near the thin pipes as these look quite easy to snap. Make sure the line connectors on the injectors are the same as eary ones are wider than the later ones on the valver.

Injectors should pop in easily with some silicone spray to lube them up first. Not a long job, I fitted all the lines, new injectors (had to press the caps on) in half an hour.

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

The pressure in the lines with the engine off isn`t great, no chance off fuel spraing everywhere when you remove the injectors from the lines..

5. Steve B Forum Junkie

where do i detach the injectors is what im unsure of there are fuel lines connected to them, do i diconect the fuel lines from the fuel distributor

or do i disconnect the actuall injector from the fuel lines at the engine side of the lines

?

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Theres a 14mm part on the line and a 12mm part on the end of the injector, just get two spanners and unscrew the injector from the line, you can leave the metering head side alone.

7. steve r

steve r Forum Member

changed my orings yesturday heres the pics of the old ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the brittle orings just cracked when i removed them:

[​IMG]

new orings were a very tight fit, had to use some oring lube to help them on but generally a quite easy job.

would second keith in suggesting that everyone take a look at the condition of their orings.
    Edited by: steve r

8. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

The injectors that GSF sell are Bosch. When you buy new injectors they come with the small O ring on the end.

Also check the injector seats - some models came with plastic injector seats which can get brittle with age and let in air. You can buy brand new brass ones from VAG.

9. Steve B Forum Junkie

well 5 months and 5 days scine i thought about the idea of changing the injectors over, i finally did it

ive tried a few times to get the injectors out of both of my cars, and i just didnt dare pull any harder.

anyway i went to tatton park and a guy from e1k said he had similar problems starting and it was leaky injectors.

so i went home and thought sod it the old car is usless anyway if i breaka pipe it won matter

so got a hammer put the nail remover bit around the thin pipe and leaverd against the inlet manifold and voila they all cam out

cleaned the old cars injectors with petrol and put on the bottom o rings i bought back in march

got the ones out of my current car, one was covered in rust just above the bottom o ring, one had quite a bit of oil around it ?

the others were not so bad, anyway put the replacement injectors in and starting problems gone [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

just gotta wait and see how they manage in the cold weather but fingers crossed

might try and get some top o rings again from the local vw dealer in stoke

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Glad to hear you`ve sorted it, thought I was in a toime warp when I saw the thread title :lol:

11. steve r

steve r Forum Member

following on from just checking the injector oring seals

I had the inlet off to swap my engine and checked the injector housings, i found one of them cracked and it fell apart when i removed it, if that had of happened whilst driving it would have gone straight into the inlet valves [xx(] [xx(] [xx(]

the seals were shot on all 4 of the housings,

old vs new:

[​IMG]

the new parts cost about 25 from VAG so not too expensive when you consider what could happen if the plastic comes loose and goes into your engine

12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

13. CraaaigDaaavid Forum Member

Do the 8V K jets have these "injector seats" ???

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

15. CraaaigDaaavid Forum Member

[:s] time for me to have a look then I think...... [:D]

16. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

They definitely have the brass seat and the washer but I don;t think they have the plastic flower pot thing underneath (in the picture a few posts up) - at least I couldn;t see that on ETKA and neither could my VW stealer.

17. Steve B Forum Junkie

could you please put up all the part numbers of the replacement parts you got?

because im gonna be taking the inlet manifold off mine in the future to change for a 50mm and hopefully the seats will be fine but if there not i wouldnt mind getting them replaced while its all apart.

btw i went to the local vedub dealer (i.e. not bradford) the one in stoke and they supplied me with the top injector seals i needed so its all sored now hurrah!

the starting still isnt top notch but its hugely better than it was if a moderator reads this thread it should really be saved for other users

18. steve r

steve r Forum Member

brass threaded insert: 034 133 555 A
    plastic insert: 035 133 554
    rubber seal:035 133 557

could do with this being info made into an FAQ
    Edited by: steve r

19. Steve B Forum Junkie

i think im gonna turn this thread into a how too kind of thing for other to use

20. Steve B Forum Junkie

oh and thanx for the part numbers [:D]