Laser 6728 brake flaring tool. Works great!

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Rustbuster, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Been bending/forming my own brake lines for years now. VW used to do just about any length needed for my Mk2s’ and they were factory flared. However, these lines are now discontinued by VW. So, had to get a flaring tool, some rigid line, oh, and I went and got a pipe straightener to boot. Got the copper-nickel line amd stainless unions from Automec who very helpful. You can certainly buy cheaper on eBay but thinking, brakes…probably worth the expense, no what I mean. Anyway, was looking into various flaring tools from the SP range down to ones under 20 quid on eBay. Found a review on utube for the Laser 6728 which is a handheld but bare with me. Review came in really strong so went with it for £75. Arrived quickly and promptly set about my first flare. Have to say I’m well impressed. Couldn’t be easier and I’ve included a photo off only my third attempt, which has also now been tested on the car and no leaks. Have to say I’m happy with it. Straightener works great too. And as for working with copper-nickel line rather than steel, it’s sooo much easier to bend amd get where you need it.

Attached Files:

dodgy likes this.
  2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Looks good, a step above the £30 ebay one I used. I had one of those straighteners, but I found after a while it scored the pipe. Automec thought it was down to the irregularity of the Beal supplied cunifer. Quite possible since the beal pipe nuts were awful. I ruined the long drivers side to bulkhead T piece with a rogue nut. Automec hand benders are great too.
    aut_sma-ben-tool.jpg
    If I did it all again I'd use stainless pipe nuts too. Though based on having one of my turbo bolts gall I'd put a bit of nickel anti-seize on those pipe nuts. PERMATEX 77134 on ebay was the cheapest I found. It is pretty toxic, but resists up to 1315C.

3. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

I agree, I’ve got a pair of those pipe benders and they’re excellent. Got two other, different pairs and the ones you’ve highlighted are the only ones that can do really tight angles without marking the line.

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I bought one of them Halfords sets for a one off, what a POS. We’ve got a nice Sykes and pickavant set now, it’s brilliant.

It seems my dad and I have an issue. We buy the expensive version of all tools. Even if we only use them a couple of times.

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's impressive. I had one of the older, simpler versions of that and it just couldn't do steel.