Leak from thermostat housing on 8v gti

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Gavsdad, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Gavsdad

Gavsdad Paid Member Paid Member

Changed water pump along with thermostat housing, however it’s loosing water from hose fitting onto onto housing, hose is pushed on as far as it will go and hose clip tightened to an inch of its life! Changed hose clip a couple of times. Still leaks, the plastic housing was a febi and not leaking from ‘O’ ring, hose itself looks ok any suggestions?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

If you've an incorrectly sized clip, and/or overtightened it, it'll deform the hose and not seal.
    Otherwise it could be corroded?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

so if its not coming from the o'ring where is the leak from?

4. Gavsdad

Coming from between hose and plastic housing, think I’m deforming the plastic! I’m using ordinary hose clips not the VW ones
    So think I need the original type hose clip ( I’ve used jubilee clips on rad end of hose etc with no problems just this thermostat housing it’s as if the plastic is thin and warping when water gets hot Any one tell me the name of the original type hose clip, or is there an alloy thermostat housing?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

MK1 golf engines have alloy housings, keep em peeled sometimes come up. part number is 055121121, but you'll mostly find 055121121F plastic one while searching.

and yep, try to get the original type VW hose clips though they're the best option as they expand and contract as the engine heats and cools maintaining perfect pressure. N 0164101 is original number, 7.02+VAT from the dealer

Gavsdad likes this.
  6. Gavsdad

Many thanks will use number at VW and get correct clip it should help things

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

And RJ probably knew that number without looking it up! [:D]