Light steering

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Belson231971, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Belson231971

Belson231971 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi all.

The power steering on my MK2 8v GTI seems excessively light. Is this normal? Can the rack be adjusted to make it "heavier" ? Or have I just got used to the way modern cars feel?

It drives and handles well, new tyres all round, track rod ends replaced. Just seems very very light

Cheers

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Hard to say without feeling it, but they're not what I'd call crazy light, if anything newer stuff is generally lighter. My 15 plate Caddy for example is definitely lighter on the steering than my mk2.

About the only thing that could cause it to be excessively light is a stuck release valve in the PAS pump. Probably easier to just try another pump in it.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk2 system should give a decent feel, not too much. are you sure the rack is original? as more modern vag platform racks are different weighting depending on the donor. for example our 1.4 mk3 ibiza rack would fit a mk2 but it was way too light for my liking. the mk2 16v one in my mk2 feels the same as the manual rack i replaced it with while driving just a little lighter when parking. my wife moans it feels too heavy, but shes used to the mk4 and is also a girl :lol:

4. Belson231971

Belson231971 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks guys.

I'll check out what you said Rubjonny.