Little Red Ryder (hood)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PhilRyder, Dec 7, 2020.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Eight weeks in already and time to start a thread.
    As my son was getting to the point where he was driving my run around more than I was I decided it was time for him to have his own car and start learning about car maintenance. When asked, he consistently said his favourite car was a mark 2 Golf. Of course he meant a GTi but with it being his first insurance and only 22 that want going to happen. I had been watching the classifieds for some time so knew what the going rate was for a running MOT'd in reasonable order.
    As it happened I had been watching this car on eBay for a while and so while I was up north dropping number one daughter at Uni I took the opportunity to go and have a look. A chat with the knowledgeable owner (MK2 GTi in the garage and another on the drive) and good look round lead to a test drive, a haggle and a deposit paid!
    A week later and a150 mile round trip and the car was home.
    IMG_20200927_162536.jpg
    No dramas on the way home.

1990, afbiker02 and dodgy like this.
  2. PhilRyder

I won't repeat what I've written elsewhere but so far we have changed the oil and filter, air filter, alternator belt and of course changed the Pierburg 2e3 for a Weber. Also I have repaired the headliner board and we are nearly done recovering it. New stereo fitted. New parcel shelf retaining tabs designed, drawn and 3D printed. Replacement jack and wheel brace sourced. Wheel alignment done. New tailgate lifters and of course a driver's door handle.

What's next? Finish head liner, repair one slow puncture and then maybe new tyres all round. Sounds like it needs a wheel bearing too. Then it will be cosmetics and of course, drive it lots.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    1990, dodgy and costel1969 like this.
  3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice :)

Will the cosmetics involve any GTI bits?

4. PhilRyder

No, mainly paint work and a bit of rust here and there. Although, will probably put some arch trims on like a Driver or GTi. I think they will finish off the outside nicely.

1990 likes this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Nice one.
    What's the difference between Driver and say, C or CL?

6. PhilRyder

The Driver was basically a GTi lookalike.

7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

The driver is what our white one is, gti look, but less powerful, the green one is a cl, no arches and just small slats on the rear arch, nice to trap water and hide rust.
    Not sure green pic has spat in it, they are a little like xr3 had, but not as fancy.
    Edit, picture of CL spats added, went in shed, fitted full arches on the car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  8. PhilRyder

I had a three door red Driver 1.6 on a G plate back in about 2008. It was a great car. Wrote it off on my way home from work one day and the insurance gave me £400 for it! :cry:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  9. PhilRyder

Bits and pieces being done.
    Restored headliner in and looking lovely (even if I do say so myself)
    IMG_20201220_130247.jpg IMG_20201220_130157.jpg

Took the nearside front hub off a couple of days ago to replace the wheel bearing. Had a nightmare getting the old bearing out and even worse getting the race off the hub so I bought this kit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BKXVRG2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6316FbN0RCQRB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

What a godsend! It took me 10 minutes this afternoon to press the new bearing in and then the hub. Most of that time was putting grease on the bits. Worth every penny.

dodgy likes this.
  10. dodgy

Was looking at those sets couple weeks ago, good to get a real review.

11. PhilRyder

Honestly, I was sceptical. I watched a U tube video and was still apprehensive but it was sooooo easy. I was concerned about getting the bearing in straight but even that was no problem once it was all aligned and hand tight. It's a good solid set too, I can't imagine it wearing out any time soon.

dodgy likes this.
  12. dodgy

Made a puller for rear torsion bars on my clio van, m10 bar with washers, a socket and big nut, very simple and thought that wouldn't work, but it shows things dont have to be complicated.
    Thinking of making a small press with a spare jack lying about, may see if theres some angle iron spare.

13. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a set like that but with a slide hammer included, which has been useful to get the initial movement.

14. PhilRyder

Today I was tempted to replace my rear drums, brakes and bearings but I was a little concerned it may chuck it down half way through the job and then I'd be stuck with a car on axle stands in six inches of show tomorrow. So I decided to tackle the front driver seat. Until now it's been like driving on the frame, uncomfortable and almost dangerous
    . I mooted somewhere else on here about bolstering the sides with aluminium plate to support the "horsehair".
    I got a spare seat from Dodgy (thank you) and having taken that apart found that the horsehair was much better than mine. Mine was shot! I hate to throw things away but this could not be saved in any way.
    IMG_20210206_134805.jpg
    IMG_20210206_134809.jpg

So now it's in the dustbin.

Next was to draw a template and cut out the bolsters from 4mm aluminium plate. They had to be bent a little to match the shape of the seat.
    IMG_20210206_120631.jpg
    IMG_20210206_120652.jpg

Then find the most suitable holes on the sides of the seat to attach the bolsters. I drilled matching holes in the bolsters for the top two and the large two centimetre hole near the bottom.
    IMG_20210206_120745.jpg

Filed and sanded to smooth off all the edges of the bolsters. Found some suitable nuts and bolts and fixed the bolsters on (there were some trial fittings of course and several trips to and from the shed).

IMG_20210206_134713.jpg

I made a couple of large washers from spare aluminium to cover the 2cm holes. These holes allow for plenty of room to position properly.

IMG_20210206_135237.jpg

As the bolts did up tight the bolsters pulled round and trapped the horsehair in place. It worked really really well.

IMG_20210206_134728.jpg

Glued the rear trims back on.
    IMG_20210206_145854.jpg
    Washed the cover and tried to repair some holes. I really really need a new set of covers. Does anyone make them?

IMG_20210206_173639.jpg
    IMG_20210206_173648.jpg

It has worked very well. It is like sitting in a bucket seat now (the back at least). Very pleased.

dodgy likes this.
  15. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Good work there, makes such a difference to the driving experience.

PhilRyder likes this.
  16. dodgy

Great job Phil, slight bit of engineering giving a better result, true mk2 spirit.
    Know what you mean about the weather, I've got a grumbly wheel bearing to sort, but rain and snow are slowing progress, outside jobs have altered to inside jobs with 4 new doors to hang in the house.

PhilRyder likes this.
  17. PhilRyder

Seat back in the car now. Awaits test drive.

In other news the indicator stalk gave up the ghost. New one fitted. What's great now is that you can flash the lights without actually switching to main beam and then having to switch again to turn main beam off, ie one gentle pull for flash which it didn't do before. Also, the indicators work by just pressing up or down gently for momentary indication as well now. It's amazing what you find things should have been doing, all along, when you replace them. Little things............

New boots have gone on too. We have stepped up from 175 to 185. This has made the steering lighter for sure, although you still need man type strength to park (controvercial :o).

dodgy likes this.
  18. PhilRyder

Update on seat. Far more comfortable and feels very supportive. The "wings" will need trimming back a little as the horse hair settles as otherwise they will protrude in front of it and wear what's left of the covers. It will be easy enough to take them off and do that. Overall, very happy.

Had a busy weekend doing Golf stuff.
    First was the rear brakes, bearings and drums. At the MOT it was highlighted that the rear offside bearing was worn - more on that in a minute. Also, at least one wheel bolt hole was threaded and I wasn't keen on driving around with only three bolts.

So, off with the old. Oh my goodness me, what a mess. Lot's of muck and dirt AND! bent bits! How does that part get bent like that?
    IMG_20210220_102902333.jpg
    Dismantled and straightened up the bent rod and refitted. Now for the other side.
    OMG! Even worse. At this point I actually put rubber gloves on.
    IMG_20210220_121443278.jpg
    The same bar is bent so that had to be straightened. The bearing fell apart and was actually shattered. I had to Dremel the race off the spindle.
    IMG_20210221_095901818.jpg
    All cleaned up and put back together.
    IMG_20210220_114608883.jpg
    Pop quiz - how many different wheels bolts can you get on the same car? Answer - four [8-}]
    IMG_20210221_095650985.jpg
    All replaced with nice shiny new ones. No picture I'm afraid but you know what wheel bolts look like ;)

I also finished spraying the inner sunroof bead/seal and fitted that, looks good even though I do say so myself :)
    Took the lower right dash off and reshaped it a little with a heat gun so that the fuse board cover would stay in place.

And the best bit (as far as my son is concerned:(), we fixed the radio. It would turn off and on every time we hit a bump and I mean every time. Out came the radio to look for loose connections, none there. Off came the lower right dash, again. Poked about until we replicated the problem. Traced it back to a loose earth under the dash on the right hand side. It looks factory but the nut holding the earth wire onto the stud was loose. Tightened up, problem solved :thumbup:

Next is to spray all the interior white trimmings to match the black headliner. We might even wash and polish the outside too!

19. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Great work Phil - done right and done well (the only way)

PhilRyder likes this.
  20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

cone taper ones are BMW, ideal for aftermarket/BMW wheels so I guess it had those at one point. VW wheels need the ball seat type. I bet the bent bit in the drum was down to using wheel bolts that were too long for the steel wheels

PhilRyder likes this.