Loctite info thread

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by A.N. Other, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

it sound similar to a Loctite found on mk5/6 (poss 4) flywheel bolts attaching to crank.
    there are no issues with undoing to do size on head (m12 Spline) which impact gun had no trouble buzzing out!

strange you say need heating up to undo. The later VW engine ECU have a anti tamper plate fitted over them. the bolts are sheer bolts, but to undo them easier it's advise to warm them up with heat gun. it also have a pale green Loctite on

both of above bolts come pre applied, so no bottles to order up for workshop use..

I hope that helps

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Again it`s a retaining compound rather than a specific thread locker, so I`d stick with 270, TBH.

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I cleaned the crank threads so that there was zero oil on them (brake cleaner then airline) and then used regular blue loctite - not had a problem since

I also precision drilled the flywheel with a 10.XXmm drill (cannot remember the exact measurements) so that the flywheel holes really did match the bolt shanks and with maybe 0.1mm slack only.

4. lufbramatt Forum Member

cheers chris

i had been slightly worried about having to get the adaptor off at the side of the road incase i got a flat tyre as my spare is still 5x100, but i got hold of a decent 16" long wheel nut wrench yesterday so dont think it will be *too* much of an issue.

5. James_mk2 Forum Member

I used some MOD stuff which had various part numbers on, the most prominent being 273, so i assume thats the equivalent to the 270? Was a bluey-green colour.
    Should i be threadlocking the wheel nuts also? or just torquing them up as normal?
    Edit- you may be able to make out the colour of it here:
    [​IMG]

Incidentally are there any laws on wheel stud protrusion? Sit almost flush so i wouldn't have thought they would be a problem?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

the idea is that the stud stays in the hub and the nuts come on/off as required - so DONT locktite the nuts, 80ftlb will suffice

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just use Loctite on the stud inners, not the nuts themselves - but 270.

This and other comments on the forum in the last few days about "red" Loctite and "blue" Loctite are really the reasons I started this thread. The colour doesn't necessarily guide at all, and there are so many types of Loctite, because IIRC, a lot is driven by aerospace requirements, which obviously are v. complex.

For some reason, Loctite don't seem to produce a nice simple list of core automotive uses [:s]

Rival 'own brand' products also use colours, but can swap them around, leading to yet more confusion.

273 could be a world away from 270, and the colours seem to count for little.

There seems to be two / three main categories of Loctite:

- nutlock
    - studlock
    - bearing retainer

8. James_mk2 Forum Member

I've given it back now but the spiel on the back basically stated it was studlock, the guy i got it from (In REME) said it was pretty much perfect for what i was after, but i know what you mean, i would have preferred to know exactly what it was i was using and the temperature ratings etc.

9. rupe Forum Member

Nice link that ^^ and I see from reading it that the pre applied stuff you find on bolts is called Dri-Loc but it doesn't look like it's something you could do at home...

10. JamesL Forum Member

At work (general engineering stuff) we use 263. the blue loctite for semi permanent bolts and the 270 green for more permanent stuff, but have come across blue dri-lock bolts on break bolts which are used on bolts that are wound in to a certain torque and then the head snaps off as a permanent fixing. But the ones I've used are never used in high temp situations.
    I'll have an ask tomorrow and see if anyone knows more...

11. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

270 for ARP diff bolts (As I have a full tub sitting) or the stronger 603? stuff?

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

From reading around some more, 270 looks to be the better bet.

As Stu said on this, 603 is a retaining compound really.

Random selection here, showing the usual 243 and 270 suspects. Gives me a warmer feeling that 270 is ballpark for what I'm after.

http://www.onlinebearings.co.uk/adhesives-c-335.html

If I could find something like 270 witha higher temp range than 150 degrees, I'd grab it mind. For front studs, 270 isn't enough, and they require re-setting.

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

14. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

So... Locitite...The politician of the adhesive world? :lol:

270 it is... wallet breathes sign of relief.

Many thanks Chris

15. lufbramatt Forum Member

looking at that chart, looks like 266 (red/orange) could be what you want chris- 100% strength maintained at 150 degs C. just noticed that rupe also pointed that out above ;)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Bit more info on the weekend.

Loctite 278 - oil resistant version of 270

Temp range listed as: -55C - +200C

Only found available in 50ml bottles so far, 30 which is err .... off-putting

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

AP supply 271 in their brake kits - caliper to bracket mounts.

Will do a table with all this in when I've got more info eg 270 / 271 diffs

18. James_mk2 Forum Member

After my solid front mount spat its bolt out multiple times yesterday, what should i be looking at to keep it locked down? Not much heat i wouldn't have thought but a lot of vibration to deal with.

19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

243 should do it. :thumbup:

20. James_mk2 Forum Member

good stuff, got some new bolts in the post, hopefully have the gearbox changed and it all back together in a couple of days