Long start issue solved!

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Sharpyy, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Sharpyy New Member

I have had a problem with my Golf since I had it that's been causing me a headache.

The symptoms were quite strange:

- Long start up (10 seconds), hot or cold.
    - Would start on 2 cylinders then the other two would come in gradually.
    - It would run fine once started.
    - Fuel pump would audibly prime 5 seconds after switch off.

After a fuel pressure check, system pressure was found to be dropping very rapidly. The system should hold a steady pressure for at least 20 minutes.

The only three items that can cause system pressure drop (leak back to the tank) are:

- Accumulator
    - Non-Return Valve (check valve)
    - Fuel Pressure Regulator (in the fuel distributor/metering head)
    FPR_zpsv4dp1fzr.jpg

I would always try and get hold of a pressure tester to diagnose K-jet otherwise you'll be guessing, and guessing isn't cheap.

Hopefully this will be useful to others. [:D]

Toyotec and Sirguydo like this.
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Thanks for sharing your experience with us :thumbup:

3. lewiscypher Forum Member

Hi could I follow up on this thread

My mk1 has been suffering from similar hot start issues.

ran the pressure tests , ok, but pressure immediately falls to 0 moment the ignition is turned off; as I understand it , it should hold a pressure for up to 20 minutes

So Ive had the fuel pressure regulator out (as above), looks fine, green grommet looks fine , all clean moves freely.

Next suspect is the accumulator, but I want to be right as its a 170 part from VW H. My reading suggests there are no specific tests for it, anyone know different

The non return valve referred is the one next in line to the pump isnt it? I recall having some issues here before when some prat (cant think who that was [:s]), refitted it the wrong way round, worked

what can go wrong with those and, is that more likely to have gone, (or do I face I have stump up and change the accumulator).

Where do you get a non return valve havent spotted one listed.

before I make any other expensive mistakes, is there anything else I should look at?post suggests these are the only likely suspects

Cheers

Lewis

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as per your post on the mk1oc, there is another part to that valve in front of what is shown, with another oring on the end. If that o'ring is stuffed it will also result in residual pressure loss I believe:
    SystemPressureValve-OriginalMH4.jpg

The part number for the full valve is 035198685 it's NLA but you can still find it aftermarket, this is quite expensive as it includes the valve itself, a kit of shims plus the o'rings. In the kit of parts are 2x o'rings 3.2mm x 2.25mm and 3.9 x 1.8mm, one of these is the smaller one at the end but unclear which. The larger one is something like 7mm x 2mm

You can get just a seal kit 035198691 which includes the o'rings above plus a new copper washer to seal the valve into the metering head