Looking for info about my MK2.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Viktor_MK2, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Viktor_MK2 New Member

So I have a 1988 mk2 golf gt. It has a 1.8l monopoint engine and I cant seem to find much info about it. Looking for technical help as its got some problems. Considering swapping out the monopoint injection for something better and looking for guides. Thanks in advance! Might have made some grammar mistakes, forgive me, its my first post! :)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what exactly do you need to know about it? pretty rare powerplant for the MK2 but the info is out there.

3. Viktor_MK2 New Member

Well Im thinking of switching to a more common/better fuel injection system. Ive heard that the monopoint injection isnt too good. So my main question is: which injection system do I go for? And how hard is it to convert it/ what other parts other than the system itself would I need? The rarity of the monoinjected engine is the main reason for a switch. There just seems to be werry little info about problems/issues/fixing these issues on the net. Thanks for the reply.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

easiest option I guess is swap the head for a GTI one and install the full management to go with it. digifant would be slightly easier as you will just need to change the main pump, for kjet you would need all the lines as well.

or you could skip that and go for a beefier engine from a MK3 ore MK4, depends on your skills and how much power you're after at the end of it?