Loom Extending / Tucking MK2

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by cupracraig, Jun 8, 2020.

1. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

So my Golf is currently in bits as its having soms work done. i thought this would be a good time to make it a little more fancy by tucking the loom up the chassis leg and moving the ECU inside the car (currently int he scuttle).

I was thinking it would be a good idea to extend the engine loom by buying a Donor loom, cutting the existing loom where the connections are and then splicing on the new loom to the end of that... kind of like this, doubling the length of the connections and making it easier to hide but not having multiple solder connections on each wire.

upload_2020-6-8_10-6-16.png

i don't think i could deal with unpicking each connection and putting all new wire into it at this time.

Has anyone done the above method? or would say this is a bad idea?

second part would be...if i got an AUQ/BAM/Whatever loom, generally it would have all the required parts. i.e. they all have knock sensors, they all have air temp sensors that i can use?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the main sensor loom is already very long so if you put the ecu passenger side near glovebox you'll have plenty length without having to extend. you'll probably be able to get away without having to extend most of the main big plug ecu loom section as well just have to split it and re-route a few wires for things like starter and reverse, wiper to suit the new ecu position. theres a handy loom bung up in the back of the scuttle near the wiper motor where the heated washer jet wiring comes throught you can feed the wiper loom in thru there