Lupo and Polo GTI Questions

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by Ad2408, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Ad2408 Forum Member

I'm thinking of getting either a Polo GTI or a Lupo GTI, anybody got one?

Good points?

Bad points?

Also is the 6 speed gearbox the same as the golf one as the gearbox in the Lupo i've driven was really crap.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Ad

2. Rallye Forum Junkie

i found them both a touch slow, lupo deffo has go cart style handling

3. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

My bird had one until we bought a house together...we both really miss it [:^(]

Would never set the world on fire but it seemed to pull so well in all gears constantly hungry for more throttle..if you drive one you will know what I mean, serious fun. The cog swapper on the lupo is different to the larger engined golfs but I know of a lupo box that copes with 160+bhp...well it has so far!

The box in the mrs's one seemed pretty slick.

I recomend!

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Tried both 2+ years ago... was wanting Lupo..
    Boring car.. flat to drive and was very dissapointed.
    Polo was worse.

Went to Seat and tried Ibiza Cupra 20VT.. = SOLD!
    Never looked back.
    Much better car for the money and oh so tunable.
    :p

5. Rallye Forum Junkie

exactly my thoughts, was all up for it on the way the dealership. Took the Rallye out on the same roads straight after, no comparison (ok the dash is nicer on the lupo)

6. monza 16v Forum Member

Never driven either but i quite like both of them looks-wise. More appealing to me than a mk4 anyway.

7. Admin Guest

i'd say lupo but seeing them at pod on sunday performance ws shocking unless they weren't GTI's being taken up the strip ( damn boy racers badging them up [:x] )

but they look so good!

8. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

I have test driven both of them, Lupo definately has the edge, doesn't feel that quick but still fun to drive!

I agree with bill Ibiza 20VT is a better car for the money!

Alan

9. Poobah New Member

Lupo Gti rocks! ;) 125bhp 950kg funky looks and loadsa grip :p , ok admittadly the handling is vastly improved with coilovers but the figures don't lie and l saw a Gti beat a Mk3 VR6 at Santa pod the other week. Just work out the power to weight ratio and it speaks for its self. Ok so a Ibiza 20VT is quicker but then l see three of those on the way to work every day [:s] and haven't seen another Lupo gti for the last 2 months. At the end of the day its down to personal preference but its no coincidence that the Lupo Gti has been named the new Mk1 Gti :clap: Or am l biased? :) .

Chris
    Edited by: Poobah

10. tdwindustries New Member

Hey obviously I agree

I also agree they are slow, and not very tunable (sorry its true!) but for handling, rarity, fun to drive and looks its amazing - soon someone will start to offer engine upgrades and all will be good.

They are wicked cars, IMO i wouldnt go near a polo gti (you lose all the benefits of the lupo, with the same engine)....

11. Tigz Forum Member

Hang on we was getting 16 sec 1/4 miles which in my opinion a standard 125bhp 1.6 engined motor is pretty impressive.
    The GTi that was doing 17+ seconds had a problem, and is now having the throttle bodies cleaned out.

Badger Bill, the Lupo drives Flat?
    How did you come to this conclusion? Im curious

12. Poobah New Member

Slow in comparison to? 7.8 to 60mph and l had 136mph out of mine the other day. Not that impressive if you have a Leon 20V but for a N/A 1.6 its not shabby.

Chris

13. tdwindustries New Member

true true but then i was the one getting 17.3 consistently on the strip, even had someone else take it up and it was still slow, so ok i am biased cos clearly mine has a problem!!

If i am honest I would not drive any other car for the money, or even a bit more money....

As for boy racers badging there cars up wrong... i dont know any lupos that do that - actually there was a silver Gti that got 15.67 on the strip

14. Admin Guest

well wasn't a complete anorak and noting the plates on the cars, but several lupos that i saw run just seemed slow, and thats in comparsion to my MK1. I would have hoped them to have equalled or bettered what i would expect mine to do. they were running late 16's or early 17's. when i would be looking for late 15's to early 16's.

15. Poobah New Member

A well driven Gti should be capable of doing a 16 flat quarter mile standard.

C

16. Tigz Forum Member

Poobah, a well driven GTi will do a flat 16 without any problems.

Even so I can keep up with a mk4 Golf GTi around the twisty stuff in my 1 litre, down to the lack of wieght and handleing of the Loop.

Id chalange any of the so called "GTi's" of late to a track day and see if they can beat a Loop Gti.

17. tdwindustries New Member

yeah hold on jon boy.... these are STANDARD lupos, the lupo gti is faster than most MKIV "GTI"s

:)

18. Admin Guest

yuou guys need a good test pilot then ;) :lol:

and i still want one! loved the silver one in the show and shine car park with the porsche rims on.

as and when i get one it will be decked with a set of ronal turbos and sit on the floor!

19. tdwindustries New Member

wicked! get one!!!

seem to be more and more people joining the lupo forum who have come from MKI golfs

i am saving my pennies for coilovers

20. Poobah New Member

Great taste! Yeah the silver one with porka rims was Alex's from Club lupo. Some serious money spent on that!

Would prefer the slammed ronal turbo route myself

C