Lupo - common leak areas? icy windscreen.

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by jmsheahan, Jan 14, 2012.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Morning all,

I was wondering if there are any Lupo owners on here who might know any common areas for water to leak into the cabin? Have noticed on my gf's 02 plate Lupo that the windscreen is quite often wet on the inside and takes an age to demist. Now we have a cold snap this has turned to ice (not particularly fun having to de-ice both sides of the screen - like being back in my Beetle :lol:).

Anyway, initial thoughts were it may be coming in through the scuttle/pollen filter? No wet carpets that I can find so any ideas of where to start looking? Club Lupo hasn't been fruitful so far.

Thanks!

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

The most common leak inside of a lupo is the rear washer pipe splits. It normally does it down the passenger side over the rear wheel arch.
    Any wet carpet in that area or does the rear washer work?

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Got a dehumidifier as a short term fix?

4. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

No damp patches to my knowledge regarding the wet carpet but will check. The rear washer works fine.

Cheers, I have a dehumidifier in there today already in an attempt to dry it out a bit.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

My mk3 ended up damp inside and has no leaks. Dehumidifier got almost a mug of water out, no misty windows since.

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

Could always check the grommets in the bulkhead/firewall to check they're all still there and someone didn't remove one when wiring a sub/amp from the battery.

Otherwise one thing I did have to do in the Arosa (same car basically) is clear the drain holes in the doors as I found mine were slightly blocked and when changing the door speakers noticed some of the water wasn't draining straight through the wholes and generally leaked through the dripped into the car.

As the lower door panel can be removed in 5 mins might be worth a check to see if the door skins are in tact and the drain holes are clear at the bottom of the door.

7. LeiLei New Member

Hey guys,
    wonder if you can help me.
    My Lupo GTI 1.6 is leaking in the boot, its leaking inside and dripping onto the right of the back seat.
    The rubber piping that seals the boot looks slightly bent inwards but it leaks into the area before it gets to that point then pours
    into the back seat?
    Also because of this needed to take my alarm fuse out as the water gets into the boots alarm point and trips it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Lei