Lupo GTi (Jap Import)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by oVerboost., Jun 13, 2018.

1. oVerboost. New Member

After a little time away, I have returned to the VW scene, and thought I'd show off a few pictures of my recently acquired Lupo GTi.

It's a 2003 6 speed model (53) which was imported to the UK from Japan in 2015 however it had sat parked up for a year as the previous owner bought a rather nice mk7 Golf GTI and had heavily modified that, so the Lupo sat under cover on the driveway, however it was regularly started and moved and checked over.
    Standard spec is largely the same as the top spec UK models with Xenon lights, although it does have nicer heater controls than the UK models! lol

It's had 1 previous UK owner, 85k on the clock and is really, really clean. I've been looking for a nice example for a while, between myself and the mrs this is our 3rd Lupo GTi now, they're such great little cars!

It came with a few modifications that the previous owner had carried out:

Adjustable coilovers (not sure on brand),
    BMC Carbon air intake,
    Custom front fog lights fitted,
    Rear wiper delete,
    KAM Racing stainless cat-back exhaust system,
    Cambridge rear lights,
    Pioneer Apple carplay double din head unit and upgraded speakers all round.

I spent the first week after buying it detailing it in the evenings, and on the weekend getting it all up to scratch (detailing OCD). Here's the results...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the photos were taken I've removed the rear window tints as I prefer the car without them (and the rear window had a scratch on the tint film which was annoying me. I've also fitted the red strip on the front grill and ordered up some smoked side repeaters (to match the cambridge rear lights).

I've also got a set of Rota Grid V in anthracite on order, the mrs had them on her last Lupo GTi and I loved how they looked, so ultimately the car will look very similar to that, but seeing as we both loved how it looked, there's no harm in copying the last build.

[​IMG]

Future plans include some newer Golf / Polo GTI interior and just to enjoy the car really.

Will update as and when things happen... Thanks for reading [8D]

2. Break Forum Member

nice car and nice photos!

oVerboost. likes this.
  3. mk3f.t.w. New Member

this is a cool little car! I wish the US got Lupos

oVerboost. likes this.
  4. oVerboost. New Member

A few updated pics. Removed the rear window tints, removed the wind deflectors, fitted a stubby antenna and fitted smoked side repeaters...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mk3f.t.w. New Member

Cleaning up nicely! I don't mind the factory wheels either.

6. oVerboost. New Member

Factory wheels will be kept for winter use, and for when I fancy it looking original.

New wheels have arrived, and are fitted however they've come with the wrong tyres on them. So will be getting them changed over on Monday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Coming along very nicely!

oVerboost. likes this.
  8. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would send the new wheels back personally, the originals look great.

Lovely little car either way :)

What are your plans?

9. oVerboost. New Member

I have actually removed them and was going to update the thread to say so...

Agreed, don't think they work and take away from the GTi look IMO.

So will be keeping it OEM+ until something amazing wheel wise appears.

10. oVerboost. New Member

Little update, ordered some new 8x15 custom wheels and had to wait for them to arrive (imported) then had them built up with new 185/45/15 tyres all round.

Adjusted the suspension, adjusted the camber (rear shims not fitted currently) and this is how it now sits...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Rogerwer New Member

@oVerboost. does the pioneer stereo delivers? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off topic. Maybe you can help me. I'm on a quest for a new stereo. I've been reading reviews about Pioneer stereos but they are useless hype. It's beyond me why people are doing it.

This head unit landed on my short list AVH-2550NEX. From all the blogs that I've read one stood out. The blogger was hyper critical about Pioneer and put me on the fence. The head unit review was OK until I've reached the shortcomings section.

How tiny are those buttons? What about the slow startup? How bad is it?

Any pointers?