Lurker's first post... '74 Golf with ABF - and no idea...

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Mik Wid, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Mik Wid New Member

:thumbup:
    It'll be the last progress this year no doubt but progress nonetheless.
    Pics in no particular order:
    block and bearings.jpg

ABF Block and Mahle bearings and ARP bolts in hand-tight.

dowelled crank pulley.jpg
    Crank end with hole for stainless dowel. I did ask for two, one either side but it took so long to get this done that I just accepted it.
    Bit twined that they wiped the grease off and left the crank end to go rusty. 1200 wet and dry cleaned it up though.

end float.jpg

checked end-float.

bobble on crank.jpg
    bobble on crank which requires a matching hole in the ABF trigger wheel
    hole actually in correct place.jpg
    I managed to actually drill a hole in the correct place for once.
    flat plastiguage.jpg
    Flattened plastigauge. and some lint from the cloth... not a scratch fortunately. crank run out.jpg
    crank run out checked by torquing down all bearings then releasing 3, 2 and 4 and rotating crankshaft to make sure its straight... happy to report it is.

Now, i've got to give a shout out to Nick and Decimal Tenths on YouTube for his brilliant videos. I am a clown with no idea and, along with you helpful chaps, these vids have given me a great start. Still, i've only scratched the tip so will be posting for a while I'm sure.
    Thanks for your help so far guys.

erreesse and Sirguydo like this.
  2. Mik Wid New Member

Managed another couple of hours messing this weekend.
    The FCP h-beam con rod fouled the bottom of the cylinders so I had to grind a bit from the block.

There is a ridge where the block has a relief cast into it, presumably to clear the standard rods, and you just need to take the edge off this ridge. I'm talking like I know what I'm doing but I was winging it an hoping I didn't find the water jacket.
    The pic below shows the ridge and the relief. There is one either side of the cylinder except for number 4 which is cut away one one side already.

ridge to grind.jpg

The pic below is the area after 5 mins with a Dremmel. Albeit the other side!
    bit of Dremmelling.jpg

The rods only just clear the oil pump as well:

oil pump and rod.jpg

So, just have to clean out all the iron filings everywhere now, then can finally start to assemble. After I've replaced the piston ring I broke trying to use the ring compressor tool.

erreesse likes this.