Mapping a M3.8.3 ecu

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by nut 20v, Apr 7, 2014.

1. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Hi all how many tuners are there out there that can do a custom map for these ecu's I already know of r-tech but who else can do it as I'm looking to get mine mapped in the next few weeks and I would like to talk to a few mappers about what I have and need so it won't come back like last time not done. time is ticking and need to get it done soon distance is not a problem so who are your recommendations cheers

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Oops, editing fail there!

I am sorting out one on Wednesday.

For a K04 + injectors. Can report back on any road blocks.[/QUOTE]

erreesse likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

perfect I'll be monitoring this thread ;)

one thing I've come across apparently it is possible to map these via the vagcom port, but not many have the tools/knowledge to do so. RTec are one of the few or so I heard. Another snippet I found in another thread is you have to put 12v to the extra red/white wire from the ecu on the vagcom port before the AGU can be mapped over the vagcom port?

I assume the can-bus needs wired too for this to work?

Natedogg likes this.
  4. Toyotec

The later 06A***018 ECUs have flash chips and are writable via the diagnostic port. The early ones have a OTP PLCC44 like a VR6 late unit, so a solder job.

Natedogg and erreesse like this.
  5. rubjonny

ah so the key thing is the stock chip itself isnt re-writable? so needs removing and replacing with a writable chip which can then be mapped?

6. Toyotec

That is not what I said though.

The later M3.8.3 ECUs are flashable or writable via diagnostic port, such as the 06A906018CG ECU but not readable unless the flash EPROM is removed. It is the early stuff such as 06A906018R that is not readable or writable without chip removal.

erreesse likes this.
  7. rubjonny

well you specifically said 'flash chips' on later ecu, but not for early so thats what I thought you meant but wasnt sure. hence why i asked for confirmation ;)

but cool thats what I was wondering, I can safely delete that extra red/white diagnostics wire in future

8. Toyotec

Flash chip should have inferred rewritabe and the OTP means one time programmable.

9. rubjonny

maybe to someone who knows about flashing chips but I do not :cry:

10. Toyotec

now you know...[:D]

11. rubjonny

yup, every little helps as they say on the road to enlightenment :thumbup:

12. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

[/QUOTE]
    Sound let us know and if you fancy taking mine on let us know cheers

13. Toyotec

Sound let us know and if you fancy taking mine on let us know cheers[/QUOTE]

It should be fairly easy..but that is in theory w/o Sud's law. We will see after Wednesday.[:D]

14. Prawn Forum Member

What car has the ECU from from?
    As Eddie said, all the 018 ECU's should be mappable via the diag port providing you give a 12v feed to the red/white wire from the ecu plug (I forget the pin number)

To my knowledge, there is no Can-bus system on the AGU cars

15. Toyotec

All of them are mappable ( which you know already) but some are very old skool and involve chip off, socket etc 06A906018R for example.
    The later ones such as 06A906018CG ( Golf 4 GTI) and 06A906018CJ ( Audi A3) have a flash chip in them, to allow flashing via the K line but no reading.

I am sure on a vehicle ( Golf 2 with AGU+ M3.8.3) I recent saw had crash and ABS faults stored on the ECU. No doubt from missing modules. That means the later M3.8.3 ECUs also have limited CAN information coming in from some data bus. These of course can be calibrated out of the calibration, if fitted into an older car like a Mark 2. ( I might be wrong on that though)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    erreesse likes this.
  16. rubjonny

All AGU I have worked on have had CAN-BUS wiring, how much it talks over it I cant say but as toyo says I've seen them with ABS coms faults but they dont seem to actually care and continue to run as normal. I have an early Audi A3 AGU wiring diagram which shows no have can-bus, and also no clutch pedal or pas switches either so I assume ECU calibrated a bit differently on those.

only the AGU eara MK4s (and i assume most if not all other dbc) have the red/white ECU wire to the VAG-COM port, the later AUM/AUQ have this wire missing and so will not require the 12v thing to map over com port. I have only ever seen mention of needing 12v on the red/white wire for com port mapping with AGU ECUs, this is why I mentioned it above.

erreesse likes this.
  17. Toyotec

The K line is most critical for diagnostics and, if applicable, reading and writing with these ECUs.

18. rubjonny

yeah i always extend the can-bus to the fusebox with the kline 'just in case' but tell my customers they probably wont need it, just wire in the kline. i always chop out the red/white since i haven't yet found any rock solid information that it is actually required as of yet!

19. ben mk2 Forum Member

I'm in a similar situation, AGU with a big turbo and water meth. Guessing it's either Bill or R-tech? Also wondering if I can eliminate my narrowband and use my AEM wideband failsafe setup? Guessing that the signal will be more accurate but will the ecu understand it???

Apologies for the hijack :-)

20. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Some widebands can replicate a narrow band but may not work correctly. Best to just add a bung in the exhaust and have a separate gauge.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014