Megasquirt Newbie Questions - All the really dumb ones you were afraid to ask!

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Mike_H, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Tomo IOW Forum Member

Question, I'm getting confused in tuning the warm up /afterstart, the cars feels lumpy and restrictive at cold start, think my afrs on this are around 12,but when driving , its pulling back ,feels like misfiring, ,buy when out of warm up , its ok. Tried looking into afterstart as same thing happens after short runs , starting engine , stopping ect,I'm guessing afterstart plays a part here,just dont know how much or where to adjust these warm up areas,

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Thats not afterstart. That will be your cold acceleration. Your afterstart is only when the cranking has finished, Usally last for a short period like 6 secs. You would adjust that if after cranking it has trouble keeping riunning initially untill warmup kicks in.

If the fuelling is too rich. Any extra added fuel from AE can bog engine down i found

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. Tomo IOW Forum Member

Excellent,afterstart is ok on that part. Looked at warm-up bins on TS, having a graph made it easier as the whole warm-up cycle was spiking everywhere,at one point towards the end it ramped up ,I slopped the thing down and seems ok

4. emery1990 Forum Member

At what point can I drive my car ? I just need to get it to my garage, 1 minute away so that I can work on it when it's ****ing it down1 like now, driving me mad! I'm guessing after ive done cold idle warm idle afterstart etc etc.

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It's up to you. If it runs, drive it sensibly. The base map should work well enough for that.

6. emery1990 Forum Member

Ok sweet, my lc-1's being a nightmare, its giving out 4.7 v even though it is running mega rich, logworks gauge reads at 21-22 afr.

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

If it's been calibrated properly. You may be very lean like the reading is showing.

8. emery1990 Forum Member

mmm, could I just put required up fuel up a bit too see if that lowers my afr's? It's reading 4.7 volts, so nearly max reading.

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Have you calibrated it in free air? Instruments are supposed to be believed if they are calibrated correctly. Have you datalogged it yet?

10. emery1990 Forum Member

Yer I've done it when it first connected up, then when in the exhaust and giving me mega high readings I took it out and recalibrated it.

I've done a few datalogs yer, would they give me correct readings then? I've got them saved so can go look at them.

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You need to see if the afr reading changes when datalogging to make sure its connected/configured right. Then go from there to see if fuelling is right. If the signal is flatlining its it could be disconnected.

12. Thomas New Member

I'm running mega squirt on my standard ABF engine with the standard fuel rail, all the wiring diagrams i have seen show that there is two 12v power wires for two injectors with a 5amp fuse each. The issue i have is that for the standard fuel rail there is 5 wires 4 for the injectors and 1 12v power, ive opened up the fuel rail and there is not really enough room to install some fuses.

I was wondering if i can just run a single fuse for all four injectors? Would this be safe and if so what amp's?

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

You're more likely to blow injector drivers in the ECU. Better to split the wiring in the fuel rail, run it back to the fusebox and install fuses inside the car.

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Check the spark plugs. If it's mega rich they'll be jet black. Sometimes a car running v lean can confuse the probe due to unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Old school methods are often good to double check fancy new kit!

15. emery1990 Forum Member

That problem is not around now, fixed it by getting an abf running ms2 all set up and ready to go lol

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Just noticed the date on that post :lol:

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

Bump for G60KG

18. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Dumb question - what gauge / spec are the wires used in the MS loom? I need to put in a load of extensions to pick-up sensors on the other side of the engine bay.

19. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What loom do you have? i.e. DIYAutotune, RSA, homemade?

20. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Looks like a DIY effort.

I've actually just bought a new DB37 connector with pin type fittings, so have an opportunity to start from.fresh with wiring :)

Any suggestions on what wiring spec to buy much appreciated.