mk1: 020 gearbox. reluctant to go into 1st????? Anybody had this?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Jon Olds, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

My SA CITI golf is currently a bit reluctant to go into 1st gear. Things tried so far,
    Linkage adjusted a spline either way
    Clutch cable slack taken up
    Two detents on top of the selector (2nd one is reverse switch) removed check, adjusted put back.
    Gearchange is lovely 2nd to 5th.
    Gearbox super quiet, fresh oil
    I'm thinking a new selector in next?
    Don't want to replace the box, as its the original, with nicely spaced ratios
    Any input appreciated
    cheers
    Jon

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Synchro locks have come out of place?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

haw do all the linkage bushes look? when I built my cabrio I didnt get round to doing the 2 in the bottom of the gearstick under the car where it attached to the main selector rod and it was exactly as you describe 1st was quite tricky to get in

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

thanks guys, I have rebuilt the engine, so all the 'easy to get to' bushes were replaced during the job. will check out the lower stick ones
    Jon

5. TomAKL

TomAKL Paid Member Paid Member

I've got the same problem with my Mk3 GTI, 020 gearbox, it's a right tart to put into 1st whether standing still or blipped whilst crawling - i've been told that the bush at the gearstick-end of the main rod/shaft is the main culprit for naff gear selection. It's the one as the rod leaves the "bucket" underneath the gearstick setup.

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

excellent, I will check this out thanks
    Jon

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Did that suggestion from Tom sort our your problem Jon?

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Had it all to bits yesterday. The stick has two top hats plastic bushes in and they had some play, so the left to right movement of the stick wasn't correctly translating into rotational movement on the forward rod. Net result is that the levers into the box weren't going far enough across to hit the 1-2 gate. Replaced the two bushes and the stepped bolt and its much much better.
    thanks all round
    Jon

Toyotec likes this.
  9. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, 3rd to 1st at 8000rpm in to a hairpin :)

Aside from that, adjustment is the usual culprit as said above - they can seem to work fine in most circumstances, but are still plays up in certain circumstances.

My trick trick for alignment, normally from scratch though, put the box in reverse, and the gear lever in its gate and get it all nice and central to allow a bit of play in all directions and its normally pretty good then in all the other gears - as the reverse positions for the box and lever are fixed, so the others must follow the reverse gear lead.

I'm told a decent synthetic oil helps as well, but I always use full synthetic motorsport oil anyways, so not sure if it works better or not.

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Its going into 1st now but the 1st to 2nd change is not like a 'knife thro butter', so still some improvement possible. Suspect there is additional 'slop' still there on the side to side of the lever not getting through to the box lever.
    100% better though
    cheers
    Jon
    Best I have seen is four car's abreast on the start liner holding 7 or 8000 rpm, lights change, 3 go forward, one backwards!!!

11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

golf freshly painted.jpg
    Fresh out of the spray booth..
    Thanks to Pete and Mick at SBC of Seaham for sorting the paintwork (not my forte..)
    Jon