MK1 1.8t Questions

Discussion in 'Engines' started by randomguy82, Jun 5, 2019.

1. randomguy82 Forum Member

Hi All,

Long time between drinks here. My last post was 2007 - good to see that all of the info is preserved on the forum!

I've still got the same MK1s I've had since 1999 and 2001 but have worked on them a little since then.

One now has a AUM 1.8t / 02J from a 2001 A3. Its physically been in the car for a couple of years but due to other priorities I've never done more than mount it.

I've now got some extra enthusiasm to get it running and have been refreshing my memory on all things 1.8t.

Now, down to business.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a downpipes for the standard K03s? There are plenty available for LHD but I can't find anything for RHD. It appears that qpeng made some at one point but that was some time ago. Will a LHD downpipe clear the steering rack / joint etc? Techtonics Tuning make one - has anyone in the UK used it?

Trackslag do a really nice looking downpipe for a K04. This got me thinking about buying a KO4 and manifold but here in NZ they are difficult to come by. That thought then moved on to buying an entire 1.8t from a S3 as then I would have the K04, larger injectors, reverse orientation of the inlet manifold, etc. Again, I can't find one here to buy so I'm starting to look overseas.

What advice can you guys give me? I'd like to get it running but don't really want to have to change things later. Am I best to find a K03 downpipe / have one fabricated and squeeze it in and hope that things don't melt, buy a K04 and manifold and use a trackslag downpipe or buy a whole new 1.8t with a K04 (BAM, etc)?

Plenty more questions to come but that will do for a start!

Cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Welcome back :)

Have a word with William Skelton on Facebook, I think he does one? Otherwise see if you can find someone over there who can fabricate one for you, personally I would stick to a turbo that can be sourced relatively easily. if K04 never made it over to that part of the world I'd give it a miss. But then again, is anything for a MK1 20v easy to get over there? :lol:

3. randomguy82 Forum Member

Thanks very much for your reply! I'll check that out. Nothing is super easy to get here but its not impossible either :)

The K04 has a much more favourable exit than the K03s in a MK1 and is therefore much easier to make a downpipe for. We did get S3's and TT's here so the K04 does exist - just in small numbers.

I can't believe how quiet this forum has become. When I was last here it was hard to keep up!