Mk1 2.0l 8v AGG conversion

Discussion in '8-valve' started by vw_tees, Jun 30, 2014.

1. vw_tees Forum Member

Hey All,

I've been looking at getting my mk1 golf sorted. unfortunately the cost of getting the old DX engine fixed was costing too much, so after reading on this and other forums i've opted to go down the mk3 golf 2.0l AGG bottom end mod. First time i'm doing this and learning as I go along. If anyone has any useful tips or suggestions i would love to hear it. Pictures of the work in progress. :)

I was looking to get the exhaust valves made bigger from 32m to 35mm, but the machine shops i went to didnt want to do it. They said because the cylinder head was made from aluminium and sleeves from steel and didn't want to risk the sleeve dropping out. [:s]

Instead i've got a bigger throttle body and decided to clean up and smooth the intake manifold. I've also bought a 4-2-1 sportex exhaust system which should give me afew more bhp.

Test fitting the exhaust manifold

[​IMG]

Mk3 Golf 2.0l 8v AGG Bottom End

[​IMG]

Walls looking good

[​IMG]

the smoothening has begun

[​IMG]

Bigger throttle body compared to the old.

[​IMG]

I've started to match the intake manifold to the throttle.

[​IMG]

Parts ordered from GFS, so glad they had everything in stock. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vw_tees Forum Member

When i bring the pison to tdc, and push the piston forwards and backwards it moves and makes a clicking noise. But when i push the piston from left to right it doesn't move, is that how it should be?

Also I'm looking to replace the two seals on either end of the block, whats the best way to take the pulley. does it come off like normal anti-clockwise?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  3. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

Rock back to front you should get a few thou movement, left to right you'll get very little / none as it on the gudgeon pin. If you think of it as the 4 points of the compass N & S will be rocking on the gudgeon so you'll get some movement E & W is across the pin so very little.

One other thing take a look at my build if you've got a decent engineer co you can use just get them to re seat the valves, mill of the d sections on the top of the pistons, measure the cc of the combustion chamber, piston recess, get the TDC gap to the top of the block and then find someone that can do the compression ratio calculation and get the block decked, I had 32 thou skimmed off mine;

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?269246-2L-cross-flow-conversion-twin-45-carbs

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the crank pulley comes off with them 4 allen bolts, then you can get to the timing belt etc. gettign the timing belt sprocket off is a bit of a mission so i would only bother if you really need to replace that seal! its done up to eleventy billion torques so you'll need a good long breaker bar. ideally you should make/buy some kind of tool to lock the crank sprocket to avoid damaging the keyway, especially when doing back up. but others have had success wedging wood in the crank :thumbup:

very nice thread with lots of tips/info:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?264463

5. vw_tees Forum Member

Brilliant thread jrgibb. What sort of power gains can be expected with the skim?

6. vw_tees Forum Member

Good thread, looks like loads of people have had probs with the bolt. I think I'll leave it for now and get it done once it gets really bad.

7. vw_tees Forum Member

update

[​IMG]

Started cleaning the block, getting rid of the rust and grease as much as possible ready for paint.

[​IMG]

Comparison between the mk1 dizzy and a mk1 dizzy converted to fit a agg block.

[​IMG]

Lower block painted

[​IMG]

One part of the breather section blocked off.

Sump painted

[​IMG]

Next stage to start the cylinder head, I was going to port it, but no time as I want the engine in by the weekend.

[​IMG]

Old guides being removed

[​IMG]

Blanking plate in the process of being made.

[​IMG]

New set of guides ready to go in

[​IMG]

New guides installed

[​IMG]

Old valves cleaned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just checking the valve diameter. The valves seem goo only out by 0.01mm

[​IMG]

Two valves lapped and sitting nice.

[​IMG]

New guides ready to be installed.

[​IMG]

The block ready and waiting for the cylinder head.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to have everything on the engine complete and ready to install into the car by the weekend.

Are the torque settings for the cylinder head the same for the dx engine and the agg?

8. rubjonny

yep, head bolts same as well :)

9. vw_tees Forum Member

Head is on, bolts torqued to 44ft/lbs with half a turn.

What is the problem people occur with the exhaust on this conversion?

Do I need to make an extension to the exhaust or can it be bent?

10. rubjonny

stock exhausts fit fine, aftermarket 4 branch often hit the rack/bulkhead/roll bar :)

vw_tees likes this.
  11. vw_tees Forum Member

Thanks Rubjonny.

The head is on, new camshaft seal on.

Next I'm trying to figure out what cover plates work. Most of the mk3 setup will go on but needs abit of modding in places, but the top cover won't fit i.e. clip onto anything.

What does every use?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. rubjonny

you need all mk3 covers, chopped to fit round the mk1 engine mount. iirc the tin metal shield has a metal spacer washer stuck to the back of it which needs to be taken off, then the mk1 mount can slip under it.

the mk3 upper belt cover wont fit right unless you put the alloy rocker cover on or fit the inner plastic half moon piece from a mk3 1.8 8v part number 048109173d. you'll need the plastic bit as you need the mk1 rocker cover for the accellerator cable bracket, unless you fancy making something up!

13. vw_tees Forum Member

Thanks rubjonny, I used the mk3 back plate. I had the heat it hammer it into shape to fit properly around the alternator bracket . Also the bottom mk3 cover needed to be cut to make way for the mk1 water pump pulley. Like you say johnny, the top cover will remain loose as I'll be using the mk1 head cover. I'll have to come up with another solution to that. So far so good.

[​IMG]

14. rubjonny

yeah buy that part number in my post, its a small plastic inner cover that is secured to the rocker cover and the 2.0 outer cover will clip to it :)

Its 6.23+VAT from VW, looks like this:
    [​IMG]

15. vw_tees Forum Member

That's perfect. :)

Will try getting hold of one.

Rubjonny do you have a build thread for this conversion?

16. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

- with all the mods hoping for 150bhp - 160bhp the skim is to get the CR right

You may want to keep the block breather rather than covering it - I'm running to a catch can from the cam cover and block - VW meant the block to breath so let it :-)

Also i'm running without the top and bottom cam belt covers, highly unlikely anything will foul the belt. Plus it looks better imho ;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  17. rubjonny

my build thread is for digifant, I dont think there will be much in there to help you really but here it is anyway:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?85893

as abnove i would plumb the block breather in, use a T piece to join it to the vent pipe from the rocker cover, maybe install an FPR if it will fit?

18. vw_tees Forum Member

I've ended up blocking mine, and bolting the Warm up reg ontop. I'll see how it run with it blocked before changing it again. It took ages making the plate the right size and shape.

Agree removing the covers do look better. My clutch cable, speedo cable etc touch the timing belt if i leave them without.

I'll see how it runs without, as the blanking plate took some time to make. What is a FPR?

19. vw_tees Forum Member

Update

Yesterday, the old engine came out and new one went in. I had to cut some more plastic away from the lower timing belt cover to make way for the side engine mount.

[​IMG]
    Once everything was connected up and timed i went to start the car. The car turns over, revs high then usual and turns off. I tried cranking it few times still no luck. I've checked the spark plugs and they have carbon over them. I'm assuming its over fueling.

or possibiliy the air/fuel mixture is out? too much fuel not enough air?

20. rubjonny

sorry PCV :lol: FPR is fuel pressure reg, PCV is Positive crankcase ventilation, basically the roudn plastic ufo on the digifant rocker cover.

yeah the fueling will be all to pot now, trouble is with kjet theres no easy way to reset it to a nice runnign position, its a case of fiddle about with the idle and co screws till it runs then fine tune when its warmed up