Mk1 caddy 1.6d engine swap 1.8 16v kr

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by _E_, Sep 30, 2020.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sort of thing you're best off asking on various groups see if anyone has spare/scrap metering head lying around they can pinch one from for you. 8v ones are the same

2. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Hi mate, i hope you are well. Im gonna be starting the caddy up for the first time tomorrow and wanted to run a couple of things past you please.

1. where does the fuel replay go and which way round.
    2. what wires connect to the coil? think ive got it mixed up.
    3. dizzy cap lead order starting at 10 o'clock anti clockwise 1342 is that correct?

Appreciate all your help.
    Ian

3. rubjonny

1. 67/80/167 relay, goes in slot 2 and it will only fit the right way round (assuming the ecu has been wired in as per factory 16v)
    2. black wires go to the live, red/black and sometimes green go to the negative
    3. 1342 anticlockwise yep, lead 1 goes where the rotor arm is pointing when engine is at tdc. the rotor arm should also be pointing at a notch in the edge of the dizzy case if the dizzy is fitted correctly. though in a mk1 you may want to put the dizzy 180 degrees out and use an abf cap to get clearance to the master cylinder (need a longer king lead for this, either find an 8v one or on mine I had a spare set of 16v leads so popped the plug end off of one and swapped it for dizzy cap end

4. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Not sure what I've done, but no its all together. My fuel pump doesn't prime and starter doesn't operate when I try to turn it over. Any ideas?

5. rubjonny

any life at all? do the ignition lights come on? what relay is in slot 2, how was the fuel pump and ignition ecu wired

6. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

I have lights on the dash, it turned over when I first fitted the starter a good couple of months ago. 167 relay is on slot 2 the relay clicks when I crank. I fitted fuel pump about 3 months ago and it primed on ignition. Now I've everything back together I'm getting no prime or starter.

7. rubjonny

jump starter with 122v from the battery first, see if it cranks then

8. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Right cranking issue sorted. I'm still not getting a prime out of the fuel pump tho.

9. rubjonny

if your relay is clicking, check pump and fuse

10. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Thanks mate fuel sorted, I'm pretty sure I haven't got a spark. What's the best way to check?

11. rubjonny

if its got a rev counter it should jiggle while cranking, plus if the ecu is seeing a signal from the dizzy and is powered up the pump should run while cranking

12. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

This is what I know so far
    12 v to the tci pin 2+4
    12v to the coil ignition position 1
    Dizzy cap Centre pin for voltage
    12v at the outer pins
    My rev counter doesn't move while cranking

13. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Morning mate, is the fact the rev counter doesn't move while cranking a reason for no spark? Thanks

14. rubjonny

no, but if its not moving its a clue your ecu/spark module isnt triggering the coil to spark. if you have no jiggle and no fuel pump while cranking (but it primes) then look at the distributor hall sensor and wiring from it

15. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

16415504291134389276202434545806.jpg Hi mate, I've just put a coil lead straight off the coil with spark and I've got no spark. How can I test tci? And can the coil plugs be on wrong? I've just checked to see if I have fuel to the injectors while cranking and I don't. I've checked voltage to the hall sensor with ignition on and its 12v. Could the tci be causing all of this?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  16. rubjonny

coil wiring looks fine, spark module should see 12v between the black and brown wires, the brown goes straight to battery negative. you wont see fuel cranking unless you manually lift the metering head flap so thats actually good :lol:

the module is same for all mk1/2 with electronic ignition so easy to source a spare to try

17. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Hi mate just put a new ignition control unit on and still no spark. Don't know what else to try

18. rubjonny

got any random dizzy sat around, anything will do so long as its got the right plug on it. plug to the loom and spin it see if you get spark

19. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Only got the one on the car its brand new, I've hooked up cylinder 1 lead direct from the coil and getting nothing its really annoying me now.... can the thermo switch effect the spark? It is fuel on crank. Silly question does the coil bracket need to be earthed because its just floating at the moment.

20. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Also just checked power to the coil:
    Single black wire
    12v at position 1
    9-11v on cranking

Could it be a dodgy coil?