Mk1 caddy 1.6d engine swap 1.8 16v kr

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by _E_, Sep 30, 2020.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah that'll work fine. if you dont have a spark with the red/black connected this suggests somewhere you have a short to ground which is preventing spark. if you look at the spade you have 2 wires out of it, the 2nd one with an extra spade inline goes to isv controller, try disconnecting that and putting the main spade back in the coil double connector. if you still get spark maybe isv controller is faulty or some messed up wiring along the way

2. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Hi mate, just had quick look I've connected isv controller to G spade 2 on ignition the isv just clicks once , is it ment to buzz? I took off the inline spade connector for redblack coil and put the main spade back on and its still the same. Can i just check that all relays are present, slots 2,8,10,12 are in use.
    thanks

3. rubjonny

it should buzz aye, could be isv controller is dead or you have a short in the wiring. got any random spares you can try? 8v ones will plug in just may not plumb in so nicely as the hose is offset the other side on the main body

slot 2 is the only one the 16v cares about, needs to be 67/80/167 for fuel relay:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

4. rubjonny

check the brown/white wire from isv control is earthed, originally it would run to a male spade near fusebox shared with mfa clocks earth. then a wire from there into the engine bay which earths to the head. you can earth the brown/white wherever you like if the main bay wire is missing

5. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Thanks mate, as you can tell i am hopless at electrics. Any way I can check the isv controller? Silly question I took the earth to the head and put on the battery, would that still operate as it should?

6. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Hi mate, when you say isv controller. I have brought isv module that is new, do you mean the vdo module could be dead, if so is there a way of testing it? Thanks

7. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Hi jon, I've been doing some investigating. I've got power into the 244 relay via the black wire from G2 but nothing coming out to the isv does that mean the relay is no good? Could this relay be the reason for no spark when red black when connected to coil? Also checked the injectors number 4 not flowing properly and dripping, I guess that's why it won't run when just green connector on the coil. Thanks for the help.

8. rubjonny

yeah I mean the 244 relay, you should see 12v if you probe between the black and brown/white wires on it you can earth brown/white anywhere really head or battery is fine. the isv should have ignition live on one pin and the other pin is pulsed by the controller. with the injector swap it with one of the others see if the probelm moves with it or stays that'll tell you if injector is bad or issue with fuel pressure/metering head/fuel line

9. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Ye I got 12v at the black wire but nothing coming out both of the wires for the isv with ignition on. Is it the black wire to 244 relay which gives it 12v to the isv?

10. rubjonny

yeah it powers the control unit which in turn powers the isv. though think i read somewhere that someone found the control unit wouldn't send power to isv plug if it was switched on with isv disconnected, to test that theory pull the rubber boot back on isv plug and probe both pins (or probe the isv pins at relay)

11. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

When say probe do you mean with a power probe?

12. rubjonny

yeah multimeter, test lamp, whatevs

13. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Ye I have a multimeter. Sorry I'm not following. With ignition pull the rubber boot back on isv plug while plugged in and check fir voltage. Apologies again

14. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Hi mate, just checked. I have 12v at black and brown/black using the earth feed into the 244 relay but nothing coming any of the other wires including the isv. Could this mean it is faulty? And if so is that whats behind no spark with both negatives connected? Thanks rj

15. rubjonny

yes with isv plugged in, either peel rubber boot back on isv plug or check direct at the isv wires on the relay. one pin should be ignition live the other is the pulsed earth. if you have nothing that could be both the cause of the isv not buzzing and the spark problem, plug all your coil wiring back in as standard but pull out the isv relay and see if you get spark :)

16. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Ok thanks mate, I'm guessing if a have live and a good earth to the relay and nothing coming out. Am I right in saying there's a high chance it is the relay? Thanks

17. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Hi mate, just tried the new 244 relay still the same losing the will to live now lol. Don't know what else to look at, the isv just clicks on ignition. I have 4 volts at the white wire and 0.3 v at the black/white wire. Thanks

18. rubjonny

do you get spark now or still nothing

19. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Just fitting new injectors then will check. I've fitted the injectors and checking the fuel and not getting anything out of 2 and 4. Should just keep the flap open until I get fuel at all 4 injectors?

20. rubjonny

yeah when flap is lifted all 4 should spray equally, if nothing with new injectors either the metering head needs a rebuild or the fuel pressure is too low. wouldnt stop spark though