Mk1 Caddy 1.8T Conversion.

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by VolksVillain, Jun 16, 2010.

1. VolksVillain

VolksVillain Forum Member

Hi,

I have just started ripping out my old PB engine and gbox ready to replace them with a 20vt AGU. When I bought the conversion I got the complete engine, gearbox, shifter mech, clocks, key, ecu and whole car loom.

Today I set about laying the loom out to find out what parts I need and parts I dont. I am going to get my ecu flashed to delete the immobiliser so as to use my mk2 GTI 8v clocks, once I have done this I will connect up the engine side of the ecu using the multi plugs, then im stuck! What needs to be connected from the fusebox side?

Would it be easier for me to get a qpeng diy kit and build that up and use that? I already have a qpeng downpipe, and thought because it has 1 lambda boss, can I use OEM management? Im unsure how many lambdas the standard has!

Any help would be nice, I will be making this a build thread to help other people out too.

[​IMG]
    This is the truck its going in, looking really boring! It's lined up for a new set of wheels and a new set of coilovers to drop her a bit more!

[​IMG]
    These are the wheels I have been refurbing for it. 14x6, might end up not using them, depends on the braking of my 256mm set up with new green stuff pads and discs...

Anyway, if someone wants a nice stainless steel 421 manifold for an 8v Mk1, its yours for 100 posted!

2. Admin Guest

standard it has two probes. I've not worked out how to delete the second probe yet from the loom or if it will matter to the ECU.

for ease, i'd run std management, which is what i have done.

3. VolksVillain

Have you had difficulty in wiring the fusebox to the engine side? I haven't actually fitted my engine yet so I'm not sure what wires need to come from the fusebox.

4. Admin Guest

will check how mine has been set up.

just splice the 20v loom into the ignition part of the mk1. red wire and black wire from the loom, same wires go into the ignition.

5. VolksVillain

Sounds nice n easy! When I removed the loom there was only three wires coming through from the cab, so I didn't think t would be that easy?!

If you could check that would be great mate. You're the guy I bought a BBS bodykit from right? At the Cresset in Peterborough?

6. Admin Guest

indeed, i was about to ask if that was dominos at corby?

bin the engine loom from the mk1 fuse box, redundant, but keep the starter and battery cable for now.

install the 20v stuff, i've three wires to integrate into the ignition loom and away you go[:D]

7. VolksVillain

Yeah that's Corby's fine establishment lol!

Hmm that sounds a lot less daunting when I have spent the day looking at the mammoth entire Mk4 golf loom [xx(]

Where did you get your ECU flashed? I think I might contact Sub11 in Peterborough as they specialize in 20VT's, dunno if he does the ecu flash though??

8. Admin Guest

my engine and loom had already been done, contact andy out on here for the ecu immob defeat. so it was a lot less daunting specially as it has been labelled up and was just the essential engine loom parts.

9. VolksVillain

Ok thanks, I'll get in touch.

Ah right, wana swap?? haha! What block are you using?

10. bigadd Forum Member

Sorry to hijack this thread but a mate of mine need s a imob defeat who is this Andy chap please ??

11. VolksVillain

Its a guy on here AndyOut, pm him and he will sort him out!!

I have a question about the lambda sensors, are two required for oem management? My Qpeng downpipe only has one boss? Is there anything that can be done about that in the ecu, or do I need another boss, I won't be running a cat will this be any problem?

12. Admin Guest

I was discussing that with Chris ( crispy8v) when he was down the other .week. I was going to leave my second probe open, for the time being and see what it did. It won't be happy as i'm not running a cat either, so the readings will be the same as the first probe, this may or may upset it and make it run oddly

13. VolksVillain

Oh right, we will see then!

Got my intercooler and pipework kit yesterday, my mount is in the post and i'm going to get some other bits on Saturday.

Got the old engine a g'box out yesterday

[​IMG]

Funny, it looks lighter now the engine is out :p

AndyOut will soon be combining my looms to make this a quick transplant, as this is my only car now I sold the po-low. He is also flashing my ECU so I can use my Mk2 instrument pod.

[​IMG]

The old Mk2 GTI 8v engine, this is now for sale. Good, strong motor that's had a new headgasket 1000 miles ago, new rocker gasket, inlet mani gasket, oil change 2000 miles ago etc etc, for sale ad up soon!

14. VolksVillain

Hit a massive wall now...

The engine I bought turns out to have a cracked block, the guy knew nothing about it and is now ignoring me...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have all the bits ready to fit it too, it was gonna be fitted by friday, ready for my loom and immob defeated ecu later this week!

I have sent the guy an email as he wont answer my calls, he has 2 more complete conversions for sale on ebay so I am trying to get him to take my engine back and exchange it for another. Shame I bought it outside of ebay [xx(]

Luckily I payed through PayPal, so I am covered with buyer protection!

15. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

no second probe or non cat will make the ecu put the emission light on, so then you will be on a reduced power model slightly.

easy option is put a cat in and the second probe.... although I am sure there will be some way or re-flashing the ECU to remove it looking for the second probe.... or im sure there is defeat plugs that will trick it in to thinking the probe is there and reading correct

16. VolksVillain

I have been told that the AGU has a single probe, so I'm ok.... Any one confirm this [:?:]

17. Admin Guest

that engine looks nasty, looks like a piston has tried to escape out the side!

18. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

it could well do as the AGU is a old engine set up,

19. VolksVillain

Yeah, defiantly made a 'break' for it [xx(]

I don't think the guy should get away with it though, 700 for a complete conversion with a busted block!

I can see this conversion going away from the 3 week deadline [:^(]

So.... me and dad went halves on an MG ZR, we bought it to sell but I can use it until the caddy is back on the road!

I have never had a rover before :p

20. turbotommy Forum Member

Pretty sure an AGU only has lambda