Mk1 Caddy 1.8T Conversion.

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by VolksVillain, Jun 16, 2010.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

its a slippy slope! my mate had a 600 as a run around... so it... got another!!! ... sold that and then got a 45 diesel off his dad for cheap and has now had that for well over a year with no signs of moving it on.... so you have been warned:lol:

2. VolksVillain

VolksVillain Forum Member

Sorted the problem out with the guy, swapped the busted one for a much better/cleaner engine!

Today was spent getting it fitted to the caddy, all went well! Got it all in place and tomorrow I will be getting it all tightened in.

It really is tight in there too, should be a right hoot getting the boost pipes and coolant pipes rigged up :lol:

The only thing that has gone wrong today is a knock sensor connect doesnt match with this AGU loom's plug, I guess this is a newer one... So I need to either source a later AGU knock sensor or just cut the plastic from the knock sensor and use my plug as it has the same amount of pins (3)

We shall see...

[​IMG]

More tomorrow hopefully :thumbup:

3. VolksVillain

Got her sitting on all four mounts now, a mate pressed a new bush in the g'box mount so had to wait till I got that before finalising the mounting process.

Also got the wiring in place on the engine and the fusebox plugged in!

Thanks go to AndyOut for the loom, really would have made this a swift conversion if this was the engine i got first:lol:

[​IMG]

Just before the rain came I wanted to check to see if the bonnet fits, it does!

[​IMG]

Got the coolant hoses figured out too, just need a slim line fan to stick to the PB rad.

Boost pipes are still looking to be a pain in the a$$, I will definatly need a few more silicone bends...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  4. viva3131 New Member

hello mate, what sort of angle if any are your drive shafts?// just tying to do my mk1 conversion and want to get them straight,,,, what mounts are you using? cheers .....its looking good dude!

5. VolksVillain

Hi, Well for the mounts I used a home made for the cam side, as I am using the 020 box for now I used the 020 mounts with new bushes at the side and a polybush front, hopefully it should be stiff as I used diesel mounts side and rear.

I havent connected up the shafts yet, I am leaving them till after I have fitted the downpipe as its a qpeng 2.5" monster and I need as much room as possible!!

I am getting a pair of studs for my downpipe as they broke off when the guy removed the old DP, so I should be connecting the DP on monday, and hopefully the driveshafts after that, so I can give you some pics then.

Thanks, its getting there now [:D]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  6. VolksVillain

I have basically finished the engine bay now, its all in , coolant system connected, same with the boost pipes, finished the bay today! Just need to get a new air filter (the bonnet doesn't shut over my carbon one [xx(]) and plumb the inlet mani to servo line. Also need to finish my cover for the ECU.

[​IMG]

I also want to fit an engine cover too, do I specifically need the Golf GTI one (the engine is from a golf) or can I use an Audi A3 one?

I ended up relocating the battery to behind the passenger seat, it was really easy and frees up loads of space for IC piping and air filters!

I have sorted most of the fusebox wiring out too, just need to wire in the fuel pump as it doesn't seem to prime now...

Can't wait to turn the key to start her :thumbup:

7. turnipmuncher Forum Member

Good luck with the first turn of the key! sure is a tight fit in there.... its going to fly.

8. Admin Guest

excellent speedy work there!

9. VolksVillain

It certainly is! The boost pipes are the worst, especially the passenger side for running a battery in the tray, much easier behind the passenger seat :lol:

I hope it does fly, and last a few months on the 020!!

It would have been alot quicker if I had the current engine in the first place :lol: But yeah, it has been very fun and rewarding! A good end to college!

Get yours done and I will see ya on the strip :thumbup:

10. b5byt Paid Member Paid Member

When is this gonna be fired up ? Well done on the fast work!

11. VolksVillain

Thanks! I should think I will fire it up on Thursday at some time, I am gonna get a video of it; It should sound amazing with the 2.5" DP haha