mk1 caddy in the making with new power plant in

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by G-adams, Jun 16, 2010.

1. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

a couple of months ago i bought this mk1 caddy for 250 off a farm near to me[​IMG][/IMG]
    the caddy is a 1.6 diesel and its got around 85k on the clock.
    here some pictures of it condition
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    so today i started working on the caddy for a couple of hours after work, i manged to get the bonnet, front bumper, seat and underlay out
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    and heres the caddy next to my daily mk2
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    i found two plants growing out of the front radaitor hole and an nother out of the gap between the the door and the wing.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    i found my old set of bbs ra and put them on the front as the front tyres was shot
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  2. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

Looks like a great project and look forward to updates mate.

3. G-adams

Thanks mate, it should be a fun project as I've nether done one like this before and I'll keep everone posted

4. G-adams

caddy under slow construction

i havent updated this thread in a while as a couple of weeks after i started working on the caddy i managed to shut my thumb in my girlfriends lupo and broke my thumb, so it hasnt been the best of starts.

so i started to strip the rest of the caddy down so off came the doors, wings and dash.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    i lefted the driver seat in so i can drive it out the garage as it abit tight to work in.

i was think of getting all the body work done in primer ready to paint before i start putting in a 1.9 tdi lump out of a mk3.[​IMG][/IMG]

I started on the offside rear wing panel i rubbed all the top half down with 80 grit as it easy to put filler all over than just in the dent as there are so many.

after first skim of upol fanstic filler
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
    my girlfriend giving it ago rubbing the filler down.

a quick once over the top with an areosol primer to see if it the right shape.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

it need another two skims of filler before the top of the back wing was dent free and all straight
    [​IMG][/IMG]

And another quick once over the top with an areosol primer to see if it the right shape and straight
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

you cant really see from this picture as the areosol was drying to quick but ill try and get a better on soon

5. Admin Guest

nice, my farmers caddy was much the same in places, loads of mud and plants!

6. Nicko Forum Member

ahh it's this one..
    good luck with this buddy. Awesome to see a saved farm yard caddy

keep up the good work

7. WillG

WillG Forum Member

just seen this thread!

farmers don't clean their vehicles much it seems! :lol:

nice project and I'm glad you're getting stuck in!

8. G-adams

i havent update this in a little while as i have really done much since last time as i only work on it on weekends and after work but as it gets dark before i finsh work i dont go around the garage as i have no light in there but anyway this is what ive done since.

i toke the rear light holder into work to repair them on my launch break i got them repaired them and got them in primer ready to paint.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

i welded up the the hole along the bottom of the sill on both sideds as i wanna have the sill all smooth and i also sorted the hole on the rear wing by the door by welding a plate in and then filling over it. [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

heres some more photos of the caddy in filler
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

hopefully ill be able to work more on the caddy as the days will be getting longer and i dont need to worry about christmas lol

9. G-adams

a late christmas

my girlfriend bought me these the other day. they arrived yesterday[​IMG][/IMG]

so today in work i knew there wasnt alot to do so i toke them in to give them a lick of paint. this is what they look like now[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

just got to get some pcd adapters but im not sure which size widths i need but im in no rush on getting them on the caddy as im a long way off to finishing.

10. Bergcupcar

Bergcupcar New Member

Just keep pushing forward, little by little you will get there. Good work so far, love the wheels.:thumbup:

11. G-adams

i havent really done a lot to this latey as ive been really busy setting up a home for these guys
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    and just been collecting parts but ive got a bit of an update. ive got around to welding a plate in the bottom corner of the drivers door
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

my welding isnt the best lol, just needs fillering and should be good as new.

i also got a fiberglass tailgate as the one that came with it is abit bowed and dented.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

i wasnt to sure what to do for the rear bumper so i got a fiberglass rollpan but i also would like to use a towbar if possible but ill have to wait and see.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

i did make a start on taking the engine out and found out that i couldnt undo the bolts on the shock without grinding the them off and whacking them with a hammer with some harsh langauage lol. ordered some coilover and short rear damper.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

i havent got around to setting up the front coilover and i think they might be abit low as there only a couple inchs clearance from the sump.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
    there a big different to the standered hight on the rear.
    hopefully ill get my ass in gear and get a bit done soon lol.

12. Nicko Forum Member

caddy's coming on nicely..

Red bellies.... don't you find them a bit boring? :p
    nicely done with the set up though.. does look awesome

13. G-adams

It getting there fairly slowly, I think there great when it's feeding time lol

14. G-adams

a little up on the caddy as ive havent really done much to it latey. ive aresol primed the driver side rear wing to see how it going to look and to give it a little protection.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

heres the driver with no more rust hole from this
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    after to skims of filler it looks like theres never been a hole. i might end up getting another driver door as the hinge has worn so there a slight drop when you open the door but this will do for now.

here a ramdon filler shot of the wheel arch taking shape.

[​IMG][/IMG]

i got also some new engine mounts which have been powder coated and fitted with prothane bushes as the tdi engine is no longer going in.

my new down pipe for the engine im planing on putting. can anyone guess what it going to be as it no longer going to be diesel[:D]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

15. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

thats a valver manifold

16. danTbone Forum Member

i guess its a V6 bi turbo

17. G-adams

well i do have the turbo lying around so ill put that in the glove box for the added boost

18. scotty114 Forum Member

Looks like its gonna be a lenghtly project but some good work being done there :thumbup:

19. G-adams

i think i started on the caddy about a year ago now but i dont get much chance to work on it sadly. it will be worth it when done hopefully as long as its goes to plan.

20. G-adams

i havent updated this in a while as i incountered a couple of problems in getting the old engine out.
    first thing was the drive shafts bolts on the passage side being replaced with some cheap ones at some point which were all rounded.

next i couldnt get the hub nut off as i didnt have a long enough breaker bar or a spare bar laying around.

so i got all the other bits sorted and had a go of getting the engine out and faced the biggest pain in the ****. the driver side engine mount was shot as when i started to un do the bolt the rubber just started to spin. after 3 hours trying to undo one bolt i manage to get it undone.
    before
    [​IMG][/IMG]

after[​IMG][/IMG]

the driver engine mount
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

the end of a hard day full of harsh language and cut knuckles.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

next step is to give the bay a nice clean and go from there but hopefull ill be able to work on it abit more