mk1 caddy in the making with new power plant in

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by G-adams, Jun 16, 2010.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Good work!

Cant believe how filthy that 'bay is! Looks like it should clean up well though:)

2. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

man that bay was a mess, good job on getting the old motor out!

3. danTbone Forum Member

you get any more done over the weekend.
    glad the old motors out

4. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

heres a little update as

after the old motor came out the challenge was cleaning the bay and getting it ready for painting. so after a couple of day cleaning and getting covered in s**t it started to look like this[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG] a big thanks to my girlfreind for cleaning the most of it.

after removing the last bits in the bay i was able to prime the bay up ready for colour.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the steering rack was the last thing to be removed as i needed to move the caddy around in the lockup and get hold of a new one.

the engine bay is now all painted and is slowly being fitted back up
    [​IMG]
    the new loom is all in place in the bay thanks to a friend sorting it out and converting the caddy to ce2 loom but keeping the mk1 dash,stalks and swithch but ill be using mk2 clocks.
    [​IMG]
    hopefully i can get a hold of a single plug 16v clock as the one i have are for mock up as the mfa display doenst work. ive maked up so switch for the mfa in the dash black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    new rack fitted with poly bush rack mounts. a mk2 sevo but im going to keep the mk1 mc for the time being. im going to be replacing all the copper brake pipe,nuts,and fexi hose while the engine out.
    [​IMG]
    ive never used a pipe flaring tool before so that should a bit of a laugh and some fun.

ive also started to give the gearbox a clean so it went from this
    [​IMG]

to this after about an hour
    [​IMG]

ive recently got another bonnet as my one isnt repairable
    [​IMG]
    and pick up a refurd fliped axle for cheap but im got going to fit it yet until i sorted all the brake pipes out and mounted a kr fuel pump under the bed
    [​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  5. murph81 Forum Member

Nice work, would love one of these some day!

6. danTbone Forum Member

still making progress on this . all looking good

7. DuBAndy Forum Member

Good progress being made there... I want another project caddy soon!

8. G-adams

new power plant is in

well this has been in for a while but i havent got around to updating it on here.
    [​IMG]

most things are in place but i need to source some more parts before its runnng. a bottom radiator pipe that fits as the ones ive got are the wrong shape or there to long. i might change the piper induction filter for something esle but im not sure yet and fit some shiny bit for added scene points lol
    ive also wired in a obd plug which ive got in the cigarette box as its easy to get to and its hidden out the way.
    [​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

did you fit a mk1/2 lower thermostat flange? if no do so, then a std mk1 lower hose will fit straight on :)

erreesse likes this.
  10. G-adams

Cheers RJ I've just order a thermostat flange kit as everything esles is new

11. danTbone Forum Member

good to see this almost running:thumbup:.

12. G-adams

a little update the body work is almost done except for replacing the bed. i didnt take any photo as ive all ready got loads of the body work and i though its a bit boring looking at filler lol. ive recently replace the wishbones ball joints,hubs with new bearing
    [​IMG]

i also got my brake adapter to run g60 brake.
    [​IMG]
    i had a set of brembo maxis disc stored for the trackday but i didnt see the point in buying another set yet while this set was just taking up space lol.
    [​IMG]
    this is how its looking at the moment but hopefully when the nights are a lot lighter ill be working on the caddy to get it done
    [​IMG]
    sorry about the crappy pics as all i had was my phone.

erreesse likes this.
  13. T800oms New Member

Looking really good! Any new progress?

14. G-adams

There abit of new progress on the caddy but things has came to a hault at the moment as lockup im renting is being rebuild and should be done by the beginning January. As soon as I've finish Christmas shopping ill be collecting more parts.

I have a few new photos to put up but i havent had change to update this thread.

15. G-adams

wow ive not updated this in a long time it no longer looks like that any more. ill get around to update this properly with all the bits ive done soon but for now this what it looks now NQYR2417.JPG

dodgy, erreesse and 1990 like this.
  16. G-adams

so after not long after fitting the abf in i decided to go down the bike carb route as i think they suit a mk1 and the sound track of the is another thing. i came across a full setup for sale and bought them.
    IMG_0585.JPG
    ended up finishing all the body work on it which getting the bed as straight as i could without replacing it was a real ball ache. spoke with the boss of where i work now and asked if i could bring it to paint as it all ready to go (hes a big vw fan). got it picked up and taken to work on a Friday ready for Saturday.
    IMG_1736.JPG
    a bit of masking here and there then into the booth for the fun to begin IMCP4915.JPG
    IMG_1737.JPG
    KDUQ2169.JPG
    IMG_1757.JPG
    while i was there i thought ill freshen up the grill trim. after leaving it over the week to dry i got it taken back to my lockup for the fun of rebuilding it. decided to change the headliner to a grey swade and some custom doorcards. never fitted a headliner before but it wasnt to bad just a bit time consuming.
    IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    next was to get some carpet and front seats, i bought some mk5 gti one as i really like the way they look and how you sit in them. IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    these could do with a retrim but for now they will do. not the easiest seat to fit as i kept the mk1 original floor mounts just in case i ever wanted to change back as there isnt alot of adjustment with them in a caddy.
    fitted a rear sliding window and the black lettering on the tailgate
    IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    thought i would make a bike rack in the back of it to protect the bed a bit when i get around to taking the mountain bike out
    IMG_1961.JPG
    IMG_1968.JPG
    just a case of whip the tailgate off and bike straight in. also added some show light to the bed IMG_2258.JPG IMG_2259.JPG this is it current state ready for MOTing as i didnt see the point at the moment with the whole covid going on. IMG_3039.JPG

erreesse, afbiker02 and dodgy like this.