Mk1 Caddy Project - ABF Engine Swap and full restoration hopefully!

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Matt Benney, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Matt Benney New Member

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading for a while on the forum and have found it very useful and helpful. I currently own a Mk3 GTI and a Mk1 Caddy, along with a T6 Kombi. Anyway I'm a big VW fan and have recently found the Mk1 Caddy I've always wanted in good, 99% rot free condition.

I'm planning to turn this into a lifelong keeper so want everything done the right way and am planning to tackle as much as I competantly can myself.

I'm taking the ABF engine out of my Mk3 GTI and putting it into the Caddy, along with normal lowering and paintwork that accompanies these type of projects.

The plan is to update the thread as I progress and show you how it's coming along. The Caddy is 100% Mk1 Golf until the back of the seats, so there should be some good crossover with the MK1 Golf owners too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. Matt Benney New Member

First job was to strip her down and see what I had actually purchased!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All in all I was very happy with my purchase and how she looked once stripped of her clothes......

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    erreesse likes this.
  3. clarky1961

clarky1961 Paid Member Paid Member

mint

Matt Benney likes this.
  4. Matt Benney New Member

So after buying the truck and driving her with the standard 1.6D non turbo engine I quickly realised that I wouldn't be using her without an engine swap for long. It was slow, noisy and a proper dirty diesel......

Original 1.6D
    [​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  5. Matt Benney New Member

The first modification was to remove the rear axle for the axle slip and replace the front coilovers, check for fitment. I also got a set of used 13" ATS Classics as I've always liked them. Start with the important stuff!! Hahahahahah

Mainly as I was planning to just drive it like this for a while.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  6. Matt Benney New Member

Axle back from Retrofication having been welded.

[​IMG]

Coilovers trial fitted with the wheels to test fitment.

[​IMG]

erreesse and clarky1961 like this.
  7. clarky1961

v6 4motion it or 19 gt tdi

Attached Files:

Matt Benney likes this.
  8. Matt Benney New Member

I then decided to service the 1.6D and get her running sweet. The truck had been sat for around 8 years and seemed okay, but ran a bit lumpy and rough. Sadly after much fussing and changing of various items such as glow plugs, filters, oil, diesel, fuel filter etc the problems persisted.

So I drained the tank and removed it from the truck.

[​IMG]

It looked horrendous inside and was full of sludge and gunk. So I cleaned it out and had it tested for leaks, sadly new tanks are not available for the Mk1 Caddy. But it came back and had a new lease of life, cleaned and freshly painted and ready to be refitted to the car.

[​IMG]

Not sure what the green pipe is for???

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  9. Matt Benney New Member

But now I have it all apart I'm thinking of just jumping ahead and doing the engine swap, leaving her off the road for the winter whist I try and get it done. This is what will be going into her. I like the ABF engine, it's N/A so no intercooler or turbo plumbing to worry about. It's one of the best N/A engines VW ever made and should suit the Caddy well I hope.

[​IMG]

Engine is coming out of this MK3 GTI:

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  10. Matt Benney New Member

I’m currently planning ahead for the engine conversion for the truck. I already have a MK3 GTI which has the ABF engine fitted which I’m planning to use.

I’m just trying to complete my list of things I need to do the conversion.

Engine and gearbox - Taken from MK3 donor.
    Engine and Gearbox Mounts - Retrofication.
    Wiring Loom - unsure yet.
    Drive shafts - Retrofication new or scrapped MK1 Golf Cab.
    Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - Retrofication.
    Custom Radiator - Unsure of supplier.
    New Clutch - General Suppliers.
    Custom Exhaust manifold - Retrofication.
    New shorter cam belt after removal of PAS and AC pumps. - Unsure of length needed yet.
    Brake upgrade - Taken from MK3 donor possibly or another route.

Any advice any other forum members could provide regarding anything I’m missing or help with the process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    erreesse likes this.
  11. clarky1961

matt by any chance you buy white golf mk2 gti many moons ago off me ?? kev

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Matt Benney likes this.
  12. Matt Benney New Member

Hi Kev,
    Not me I’m afraid mate. Although I would love a MK2

13. bonus85 Forum Member

I used the whole ce2 loom and fusebox from the mk3. Its long enough to reach ur tailights aswell along with clusters from a mk6 fiesta so your caddy doesn’t fail every mot on poor lighting! Just means u need to splice in your instruments, or use a mk2 key barrel

You’ll need to think about the fuel pump, either use a Mk1 gti setup or something similar. I’ve actually used a plastic felicia fuel tank on mine with an in tank 3 bar pump. Works nicely.

Matt Benney likes this.
  14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

erreesse and Matt Benney like this.
  15. Matt Benney New Member

Evening everyone,

Sorry I've been so long since my last update. Sadly my Caddy is on my driveway and the weather has been ruining my project plans! It's just hardly stopped raining for the last few weeks so I've not managed to get all that much done. Anyway, I've spent the last couple of days on her and managed to make some progress.
    So.......

Completely back to front I know but I couldn't resist fitting the rear axle back on and testing the new wheels to see how she will look!

Modified rear axle fitted and new shocks installed:
    [​IMG]

Brake Shoes and new replacement stainless bolts installed:
    [​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  16. Matt Benney New Member

I'm still unsure on rear ride height, so I ordered the longer replacement u bolts which I'll cut to size once I've decided on the correct ride height with spacers etc. Hence the fact the look a bit long at the moment.

So, then it was on with the rear wheels, a quick rough adjustment of the front coilovers, and back on the ground with the ATS classics installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately my drive isn't level in either direction which makes it hard to see the real stance, but so far I was very happy with the initial look and style. The front spacers are too big at 20mm, but they were all I had to try the wheels with at the moment. I think with some 5mm or 9mm spacers it'll look spot on!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    erreesse likes this.
  17. Matt Benney New Member

Whilst I was at it I thought I'd try the badgeless grill and see how it looked. I'm not sold on it yet to be honest, the fit is awful and it looks pretty cheap. Mind you it was only about £25!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  18. Matt Benney New Member

The downside to running her this low will be the obvious issue of ground clearance. The ATS Classics are only 13" wheels so don't provide any extra lift as you can see from the stock 1.6D sump. It's around 3.5" off the ground!

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  19. Matt Benney New Member

So whilst all the rain has been coming down. I've been using the time to buy the list of bits I think I'll need to fit the ABF engine into the Caddy. After much credit card bashing I received lot's of new shiny goodies in the post courtesy of Retrofication, Epytec and TA Technix.

I also ordered the hydraulic conversion from Retrofication, but haven't got around to pulling the steering column and pedal box out of the car yet!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  20. Matt Benney New Member

Next job was to strip the 1.6D engine of all the ancillaries and cables, ready for removal.

Ended up with an engine bay like this:
    [​IMG]

After lot's of labelling of parts removed!
    [​IMG]

erreesse likes this.