Mk1 Caddy Project - ABF Engine Swap and full restoration hopefully!

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Matt Benney, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Matt Benney New Member

Next came the job I've been waiting ages to get on with.......
    Engine removal....!!!

Was planning on taking the engine out of the top so removed the bonnet for access and prepped the engine and crane. Sadly I couldn't get the crane to lift high enough, so ended up taking the engine out underneath! Couldn't extend the jib long enough due to available space, so height on the crane wasn't vey high!

[​IMG]

Then had the rather major issue of how to slide the engine out whilst having a crane in the way. After much swearing and thinking I came up with the high tech solution of using the old wheels and decking boards!

[​IMG]

But the oil burner was out!

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  2. Matt Benney New Member

So now I'm left with a very empty and dirty engine bay!

The last thing on the list was to label and remove the two wiring looms from within the engine bay, and disconnect them from the fuse board. Not actually as bad as I thought but splicing in the new loom may well be a very different story!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looms out and all labeled ready to be checked and combined with the Mk3 GTi loom :o)

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  3. Matt Benney New Member

So what next???

Well I was planning to pay someone to make the plug and play loom up for me but I had no idea that there was a waiting list for such services, and almost a year at that!

Do I try and tackle it myself, I have exactly zero experience in making and testing wiring looms! Or just trust the unknown eBay sellers offering the loom service on there for £195.

I've also ordered new 100mm driveshafts for the ABF gearbox which will hopefully arrive shortly. After that and the loom, I should have nearly everything I need to get the ABF out of the Mk3 and into the Caddy. Hoorah!!!

My drive isn't big enough to fit the Mk3 GTi on it at the moment so I need to either find somewhere to store the Caddy temporarily whilst I strip the MK3, or ask the bank very nicely to lend me even more money and send her off for paint whilst I remove the ABF!

erreesse likes this.
  4. bonus85 Forum Member

Your shell doesn't look like it needs paint, looks pretty good as is - spend the money on wiring :-D

Id say get the ABF in first if you do paint it, you'll only scratch it in the process otherwise!

Matt Benney likes this.
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

6. Matt Benney New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, very much appreciated.

So this afternoon whilst allegedly 'working from home' I decided to clear my deck next to my driveway and park the caddy on there for a while. This frees up my drive to work on the MK3 GTi and get the engine and loom out of her. Luckily for me I have an understanding wife who isn't bothered by such things :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Matt Benney New Member

Hopefully now I'll be able to make some progress with the new engine and MK3 strip down over the next couple of weeks. Weather allowing of course!!!
    I'll keep you all posted!

8. bonus85 Forum Member

Gonna be a sleeper!

Matt Benney likes this.
  9. Matt Benney New Member

Evening everyone,

Not much of an update today but I did make a little progress with the MK3 over the weekend. Just getting the ABT engine ready to come out.
    Removed the bumper, grill, lights etc.
    Removed the cross member/bumber support. I wish the MK1 had this, makes life much easier for access and engine removal/refitting.
    Drained and removed the Air-con system and pipework.
    Drained and removed the coolant system and radiator.
    Removed the lighting loom.
    Started labelling the other electrical connections ready for engine removal shortly.

Anyway, here's the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  10. Matt Benney New Member

Evening all,

Not managed to do all that much this week. But I did had a day off earlier in the week and make some progress on the MK3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Got the engine removed!

erreesse likes this.
  11. Matt Benney New Member

ABF Engine on the Bench:

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  12. Matt Benney New Member

Engine and gearbox split:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  13. Matt Benney New Member

Manifold and Air-Con pump removed:
    [​IMG]

Wasn't as easy as it sounds! The stud nuts were properly seized on the engine block!

erreesse likes this.
  14. Matt Benney New Member

First of all, I just want to say thanks for all the positive responses to the thread. Thanks very much chaps!

So more progress made, but still a very looooong way to go!

I'm starting to run out of knowledge slightly if I'm honest. I'm not sure on many things going forward.... Doh!

Need another fan belt to fit without an Air-Con pump.
    Need to know if I should remove the PAS pump or just leave it there disconnected?

Then Engine wise I'm not sure what to change and what to leave alone. It was running well before I pulled it out of the car so I'm 50/50 on whether I should be changing too many things at once for risk of running into problems.

So far I'm definitely changing the following:
    Clutch
    Service items (Oil, Filter, plugs etc)
    Exhaust Manifold
    Engine Mounts
    Driveshafts
    Clutch Conversion to Hydraulic

Not sure about changing:
    Coil
    Distributer Cap and arm
    Plug leads (Cosmetic reasons really)
    Water Pump
    Gaskets (Head, Rocker Cover, sump)
    Oil pump
    Oil cooler
    Thermostat flange and gasket

If I'm honest I'm slightly worried about access once it's in the Caddy and it will be tight in the engine bay. So want to make it future proof, but also don't want to make problems for myself by changing things which currently work fine and well.

So any advice regarding what to change is very welcome from those with more experience in these things.:thumbs_up

erreesse likes this.
  15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

To remove AC you need a non-ac water pump pulley so it runs off the ribbed belt, then use the longest (late) abf non-ac alternator belt. To remove Pas just unbolt it all job done, you can remove the v belt pulley off the crank too but it might be stuck in there.

The.later type alternator bracket tensioner wheel can sometimes end up a bit close to the chassis leg, see how.you go. If it's too close you can use early non-ac alternator and bracket with the big Spring under the alternator then use the shortest alternator belt for early 1.8-2.0 8v

For coil I convert it to MK1/2 setup as they tend to last longer and if you need to replace the parts it's usually cheaper to get.hold of quality MK1/2 coil and spark modules. You'll need a spark module loom from MK1/2 and perform an easy mod to the ECU loom to fit it. Use a later.mk2/cabrio/rocco coil so the 16v leads fit properly

I wouldn't.chamge.ool and water pumps, they will usually.be fine. Dizzy cap, arm, leads and plugs I would do unless the abf ones look recent and.good.quality. definitely do the rocker cover.gasket, note if offered 2 it's the late one you need. Oil cooler make a judgement based on the condition of it, in particular the coolant pipes on the side of it looks corroded then replace.

Thermostat flange you need to replace for MK1/2 versions so your MK1 radiator and hoses fit to it properly, new seal goes without saying ;)

Matt Benney and erreesse like this.
  16. bonus85 Forum Member

The inside of the clutch bellhousing is fairly oily, you might want to replace the main seal when you take the clutch/flywheel off as that could have had a leak

Change the clutch release bearing while you're in there, and inspect the lever arm, these can have cracks or warp.

erreesse likes this.
  17. Matt Benney New Member

Hi all,

Seems a shame to resurrect this thread without good news but......

This year has been difficult for many folks, myself included. Unfortunately that has meant little to no progress on the Caddy.

I’m now looking to move the project on to someone who has the time and funds needed to put her back together and on the road.

So I’m looking at selling as a complete project with everything you’ve seen in the thread.

Original Caddy in excellent condition.

All original parts removed from the car, including the original Diesel engine and box.

MK3 ABF engine and gearbox

New unused epytec engine mounts

New manifold for the engine conversion.

New parts already fitted to the caddy including, shocks, lowering axle flip. Front coil overs etc

If anyone is interested then please drop me a mail, or message on here if you prefer.

My email is mattbenney@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks all for the advice and help, it’s a shame it’s not progressing as I planned, but this year has hit pretty hard.

18. peter simons New Member

Any updates on this? Looks a clean thing

19. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

My guess is that it’s sold...

20. peter simons New Member

Shame does look original