MK1 Golf 1.6 GTI Throttle Body Observations...

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Zender Z20, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Seem to have a glut of MK1 throttle bodies at the minute.

Includes the original from my '83 1.8 and what I believe is one from a '80 1.6.

Don't know for certain, as it came tagged onto an inlet manifold I was after, just a bonus I'm in no real need of it.

Also without checking, I'm not sure there were different TB's on 1.6's and 1.8's of those years or they shared the same one / spec?

What I can say is there are definitely some material differences -

The castings are subtly different in places, but nothing that'd obviously effect anything, guessing the design just evolved.

Both are made by DVG, though the 1.6 has a different logo to the later one.

What'll probably interest 1.6 owners more so is that after stripping both types down to clean (the larger butterfly on the 1.6 wouldn't even move) the 1.8 has a noticibly larger spring for the smaller butterfly shaft and is made of thicker wire than the 1.6's... just guessing but suggests it's a stronger set up?

Resistance when opening the butterflys on both types feels similar, but without measuring it properly hard to say?

As you can see the butterfly materials also differ... brass v aluminium - cost or technical reason?

Probably the real biggie is the 2 x shafts of the 1.6 butterflys pass through a pair of simple top and bottom bushes while the 1.8 has instead pressed in needle roller bearings. No piccie of the latter, sorry.

Probably explains the seized shaft, after a clean and greasing it again runs sweet as a nut, but was completely dry and stuck beforehand - maybe something older 1.6 TB owners should be aware of / add to their maintenance schedule?

back.jpg
    bush.jpg
    early logo.jpg
    front.jpg
    late logo.jpg
    springs.jpg

IMG20230123193214.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    erreesse likes this.