Mk1 Golf GTI Drivers Headlight Intermittent

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by redwolf01, Jul 1, 2020.

1. redwolf01 New Member

Hi all.

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I only seem to be able to find threads regarding dim lights.

Mk1 Golf GTI - Ceramic Fuse Box.

Done a recent full restoration and replaced most of the wiring where the loom has had 'dodgy' connections. Everything kinda works OK, and I would probably want to do a lighting loom upgrade at some point, but for now looking to overcome an intermittent light issue.

All lights work fine on high beam, but on low/main beam we have issues with the drivers headlight which is intermittent. I have traced the problem to a yellow wire that goes into fusebox Plug C Pin 8. It appears secure but if I move it the lights will come on. The connection seems to get warm and the plug seems to have had some overheating at some point.

My question, can you bypass the fusebox (similar to what you can do with the fuel pump)? Anyone got a wiring diagram they can share to bypass it (safely and correctly), or other suggestions to address this.

Regards Kevin

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

a common mod is to fit a relay headlight loom, this bypasses all the old wiring and takes power direct from the battery. there are a few guys selling kits on ebay but some are quite cheap and nasty.

wiring is simple enough you get yourself at least 3 fuses and relays, wire a relay and fuse per side for dipped beam so if you loose a fuse or relay you dont loose all of your lights. then and another for main beam, or one per side also if you want it fully like oem.

wire up like so:
    30 - fused feed to battery
    85 - earth
    86 - to dip or main beam feed on old H4 plug/fusebox/flasher switch
    87 - output to new H4 plug

also run a fresh earth for each headlamp direct to battery to get the very best out of it. the relay earths can go back to the h4 plug earth if you like, as this is not so critical. I put this to the battery as well though when I used to make them.

on another note, since your fusebox plug may have overheated make doubly sure your fusebox is in good nick, if its damaged I would consider replacing it. you could upgrade to ce1 fusebox or even ce2 if you like, but that would required a bit more work than just replacing a faulty fusebox for a new one

redwolf01 likes this.
  3. redwolf01 New Member

Thanks for the advice and guidance I will build up a harness for this as want to keep it as neat (and hidden) as possible. Any advice on where I can site the relays and fuses? If they go in the engine bay then I want to keep as neat as possible.

Cheers

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

up to you really, technically the shorter the wire length the better but fitting them behind the fusebox wouldnt result in a noticeable drop. on mine I used to sit them behind the battery mainly becasue its a lot of work for the customer to fit them behind the fusebox :)

some kind of waterproof box would be nice to keep the worst of the damp off as well plus make it look a bit neater

5. redwolf01 New Member