Mk1 Golf / Mk1 & 2 Scirocco Power Steering FAQ

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by JamesB, Apr 1, 2006.

1. JamesB Forum Member

Thanks to Chris Eyre

Right hand drive Mk1 Golfs (hardtop or Cabrio) were *never* produced from the factory with power steering. This also applied to post 1984 production of Mk1 Golfs in South Africa.

Some right hand drive Mk1 Golf Cabriolets exist in the UK with power steering. These were fitted / supplied by www.steeringdevelopments.co.uk in Hemel Hempstead, but the cars went into VW dealers to arrange for it to be done effectively endorsed by VW UK.

Cost was about 1,500 at the time and was 1,900 + VAT without being chanelled via a VAG dealer when I enquired in 1996.

There is conflicting information as to which rack was used. Ford, Renault, Micra and the obligatory Nissan Bluebird/Primera rumoured Mothy, who had one on a Cabrio, posted the part number: RI53A00. A Rover PAS pump was fitted.

TSR Performance (www.tsr-performance.com) have offered a right hand drive power steering kit for several years in the UK. This kit is in the region of 1,000+, and utilises a rack believed to originate from a Nissan Bluebird with Primera steering arms (edit: from a P10 model I understand - credit Vinesh @ Eurotek - which is P10 (model I assume) - 1990-96).

Adaptor plates are required to mount the rack onto the Mk1 bulkhead (see pic in post below), and the steering column UJ needs modifying to use Golf UJs at the column end and Bluebird at the other. Ancillaries, pump etc are from the Mk2 Golf.

This information follows several efforts to piece together this jigsaw, and finally, in 2005, the first thread below enabled enough corroborative information to come together to complete a decent outline of the story.

If this post is copied to other forums, be good and credit www.ClubGTI.com - thanks :)

Update, 23/7/2008

The Primera track rod ends do not fit, nor do Bluebird, as the taper is too large for the Mk1 hub. The Quinton Hazell / First Line part numbers given in the second link above are the correct ones and seem to be off a Rover 214/414/Honda equivalent.

Do not let anyone tell you power steering wasn't available for RHD Golfs!

Previous threads on the topic:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28370

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30129

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58153

http://clubgti.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63118

http://vwcaddyforum.com/showthread.php?t=4565&highlight= clio+power+steering

http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=4564

http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=4565

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50090

Other PAS retro fits:

Corsa electric PAS

Related Corsa thread

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2021
  2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Update. I have seen a TSR PAS rack today, and found the following:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part no. on TSR-soured PAS rack. Stamped 'TRW' for mfr... Part no. 34006112 RH.

TrackCab16V recently sourced a Primera rack (Feb 2007) which has 34007 written on it. Unusure whether this is the correct one. He's looking into fitting it.

Nearside rack mount adaptor - with studs for new mount positions:

[​IMG]

In situ (ie moves mount inboard):

[​IMG]

Driver's side adaptor:

[​IMG]

From an Edition 38 post here, the steering rod ends TSR supplied were made by 'First Line' and had part number FTR 4177 on the box. They had also written QR2157s on the box as well, which is a Quinton Hazell part number....

[​IMG]

The picture shows the extension pieces which were used to extend the Primera steering arms, but according to the Edition 38 post there is no need for extension pieces with the Bluebird rack.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  3. altern8 Forum Junkie

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Bump - more info coming through on this from a current Edition 38 thread. Credit to the guys.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just a bit of an update whilst a few of us are discussing.

Additional Edition38 thread here

Picture of PAS kit on eBay today which bears an uncanny resemblance to the TSR kit:

[​IMG]

Scans from a VWM article (May 2004) on fitting a TSR PAS kit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

200dpi resolution - if struggling to read, copy it into Powerpoint and increase the picture size. Failing that, email me for a copy through my username.

Anyone with the Haynes Mk1 VW Golf Restoration manual, which has a PAS section in it, scans welcome :). PM me.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Looking into this a little too.

Does anyone know what the lock to lock on a bluebird rack is? Don't want all the agro of fitment and find that I have lorry steering!

Gurds

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Definitely less - I may be able to give specifics in 2-3 weeks.

8. golfmantobes Forum Member

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

8 mths later...

2.9 turns is what it's quoted as.

I've just completed putting a complete TSR kit in my Mk1, and I have to say that it's not the easiest of conversions, even though I had all the bits.

Will do more of an update with pics, but there's several bespke bits to make..

• rack U-clamps
    • bulkhead adaptors
    • cut/shut steering UJ
    • arm extender piece
    • bulkhead stud modifications
    • Oh, and it's tight if you've got a 16V installed - my Ashley 4-branch has been modded to fit it
    ... which makes the job a ball ache.

Much as I'd like to get some bits made up to supply people kits so that this modification can be more widely done, at the moment, there's no immediate chance of doing it, due to the number of bits to make.

10. Dub Nutta Forum Member

I'm about to start fitting an EPAS kit to my Mk1 using Corsa parts, ther's a few bits and prices i'm going to be having CNC machined to make it a reliable and neat install and will be having a few made up if anyone's interested.

Will try and put up a build thread at some point.

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Step by step TSR / Bluebird Mk1 power steering write up now on my members motors thread - here

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just spotted some sutble differences between Primera and Bluebird TRW racks, if it helps anybody:

From Bluebird Haynes manual - Pipes come off the side of the pinion casting:

[​IMG]

From a pic I took in a scrappy of a Primera:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^ Pipes come off the front of the pinion casting

Bizarrely spotted an old Primera Touring car on eBay, with what appears to be the same rack in it - click.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]]

This is an early Touring car - 1992 - built when they were vaguely standard. Appears to be same Primera rack again, pipes off the front of the pinion casting.

13. alfa New Member

do you now wich blue bird rack it is or what yaer from and to

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

As far as I can work out, they're August '88 onwards. The key is 'TRW' stamped into the pinion housing.

Having said that, I had a rack off an F-reg car (Aug '88 - Jul '89) from a scrappy and it had the Japanese rack in it - could always have been a replacement put on it though.

15. alfa New Member

hello chriss how did you over come the gears for shifting as there is a bracket welded to the origanal rack

16. alfa New Member

hello chriss how did you over come the gear shifter for selecting the gear as the origanal rack has a brcket to hold the shifter do you have any pics or some info for getting around this problem

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

As smudge said on the thread, it's got a cable change box, so it doesn't need a bracket on the PAS rack.

An exhaust clamp welded to your OEM bracket is a starting point.

18. 666FZJ New Member

I have some new information on this subject, I fitted a toyota steering rack to my mk1 last year, its about 2 1/4 turns lock to lock and it was very easy to fit:thumbup:

I used a rack from a jap import toyota paseo but ive since found out a starlet one is the same and easier sourced, its an ep90 model starlet like this one and get the pressure hose from rack to pump

[​IMG]

the steering knuckle on the toyota is a two piece design, the starlet upper section wont fit the mk1 steering column but a corolla upper section will fit from this e110 model

[​IMG]

all my other pictures and fitting information is on this thread on vagdrivers.net

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20511&pid=218702&st=0&#entry218702

bluebird(maybe primera?) rack in comparison to mk1 rack
    [​IMG]

toyota rack i fitted to another mk1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  19. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Nice post and some good progress there.

Only one issue, I think that you are using a cable change box in which you don't need the rod change brackets attached to the rack. It looks as though the bracket would not fit the toyota rack due to the pipe right in the middle.

Gurds

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Aside from the UJ spline issue, I like it.