Mk1 Handling upgrades

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by SilverR, Oct 18, 2021.

1. SilverR New Member

Hello

I have a mk1 Jetta 16v, that i took on a few track days this summer and i got the itch for some more. Over the winter i would like improve some stuff that were lacking on track. I dont want go full racecar, but something thats decent on track and road.

Most serious one is definatley the brakes, i think i will get those adapters to fit 280mm brakes from a g60, as the 239mm-s didnt really like repeated hard braking from around 110mph. I already have disc brakes in the rear.

But on the suspension department i am not that sure what route to go for. Car is currently quite soft and leans alot, also overall i think i would like it more precise.
    I currently have eibach springs with regular bilstein gas dampers, i figured id get the b6 bilstein dampers as i am kinda happy with the ride height. Or are there any better solutions for similar price? I think most coilovers worth buying start around 900-ish eur range? I can get bilsteins for around 450-500 eur range.
    Also, would anykind of adjustable top mounts be worth it? I currently have some original spec replacements and they seem quite soft.
    Full poly bushes on the entire suspension? I currently have only the steering rack bushes, rest are newish original spec.
    If anyone has any idea on a strut bar that fits with a tall block 16v on K-jet, id also like to get one. I have the bottom one that connects to the wishbone bolts.

I have also some tracking related questions. I currently have the car setup by a old rallycross racer, its got some toe out on the front(-0°32') and camber at -0°55' . I really liked the toe out change, turn-in feels very nice, but i guess some more camber would be better?
    Car also has some caster related issues, this i why also figured adjustable top mounts would help. For whatever reason, right side has 2°30' of caster and left side has 1°20'. I guess the lower wishbone mount is maybe tweaked slightly but this cant really be good for the handling right?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like a great plan.
    Re the castor, you'd want to check for a bit of chassis damage, or possibly a damaged upright/hub, or even mismatched pair of wishbones.
    Ideally you'd want to get the castor matching, and preferably increase the lower figure to match the 2.30.

You could probably increase the camber a bit, but I wouldn't go mad unless you're running grippy Tires. You'd really need to look at the temperatures and wear on a couple of trackdays to see what the tires like.

Re brakes, I used to road rally my mk1, (semi legal joy riding on Country lanes :lol:) and i fitted Opel/Vauxhall calipers on mk2 16v 256mm discs. Brilliant stopping power due to a much stiffer caliper than the vw one. No adapters needed. Its a common mod.

Re suspension, it's hard to beat Bilstein, if you still want to have it road usable.
    I'd look at B8 though rather than B6. More suited to a car with lowering springs.

3. SilverR New Member

Thanks for the reply.

There is nothing that really looks damaged in the suspension or body wise. Car had a bit of a smack on the right side under the bumper, but it didnt look that serious, still has all of its original panels. Any suggestions fixing this are welcome.

I ran toyo proxes t1r-s but i think i will get some semislicks for the next season. Those toyos are quite poor imo. Did not have much sidewall wear i think, so i guess camber might be fine? Ran them around 2.1 bar, seemed like the sweet spot. Temperature wise they turned to mush in about 5-6 hot laps.
    But i might consider some decent regular street tires, but most performance oriented stuff in around 195/50R15 size seem to be semislicks. I am not a fan of these toyos even in street use, wet grip is dreadful.

Thanks for the brake suggestion, already asked my opel friend for them. They have a similar piston size to the vw stuff right? My car already has the 22mm master.

Ill see if i can find b8-s in cartridge form, other ones seem quite expensive.

Also is there any noticeable difference in street riding with full poly bushes vs regular?

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

More nvh with poly.
    Re the brakes, they need a 1.0mm wall sleeve on the vw mounting bolts, and a Calibra (iirc) pipe. They must have a similar piston as they work really well even with a 22mm cylinder.