MK1 Jetta - back home again

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jettadan, May 16, 2005.

1. jettadan Forum Member

Hi all. Just thought i'd update with some pics taken at Alltypes. Roofrack stood up to being loaded with camping gear - its not finished though as still requires the corners polishing properly, and some bits painting too. Might have a change now though - thinking of losing the spots, fogs, mudflaps and some stickers, and adding my clear indicators, German plates and hopefully the alloys which with any luck might get refurbed soon. More pics when things change.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sneak preview of the rear number plate:
    [​IMG]
    Just to update on the track project - managed to get hold of some custom brackets at Woerthersee to fit the cable change box into the Mk1 chassis, so engine should be much more straightforward to fit. As soon as exams are out of the way in a few weeks time i'll be getting started on it - drive or no drive - and i've saved about a third of the money for the Group H kit so far!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. mk1magic Forum Member

that car is stunning!
    love the original alloy wheel trims and the roof rack is uber cool!
    keep uo the good work!

3. jettadan Forum Member

MK1 Jetta project plus others...

Right, jus thought i'd put up a few pics of progress so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. fthaimike Forum Addict

5. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

cool!

what are your engine plans?

tim

6. jettadan Forum Member

Its based on a G60, but gonna be taken to 1.9l using new pistons, balanced etc, fitted with a crossflow head ported and polished with bespoke cam, Turbo Technics manifold with T3 turbo, custom plenum chamber, some form of engine management (not sure which yet), modified SAAB intercooler and god knows what else! Its going down to Race Power Motorsport in a couple of weeks to be built. Should go reasonably well....

7. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Cool! Nice cage [:^:][:D]

8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I like that a lot! Keep us updated with progress pics! [:D]

9. 16valver Forum Member

Very cool! :clap:

10. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Good cagework, nice bit of welding fella,

I think I will be doing the same with the seat bases.

11. jettadan Forum Member

[:$] Erm, I didn't do the cage, got a professional to do it for me using a Safety Devices which has been modified a bit to my spec....i've no garage to work on it so no chance of doing any welding in this weather. Stage one of the cage is finished now so picking it up tonight and bringing it home. It'll be going back again once the engine and gearbox are fitted, to have the intercooler modded, front crossmember removed, front and rear engine mounts done, front panel modded and the spare wheel well finished as the petrol tank also needs to come out. I'm debating having a bar across the rear, behind the seats, triangulated from the middle down to the B pillar loop mounts on the floor - not sure of it needs the extra bracing though.

12. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Im no expert at the welding either mate,ive got a decent mig but I'm still getting a mate of mine to help me out.

Do you have a beam that runs along the front of the dash ?

13. Keith R Forum Member

Nice cage! That will look well tidy when it's all sprayed.

14. altern8 Forum Junkie

looks awesome [:D]

15. jettadan Forum Member

Thanks for the comments guys :)

There's the bar going across the scuttle panel and one above the front windscreen. I'm gonna see how the dash fits with it like it is (got a few old ones to cut and mess about with), together with the seats, and then see if its possible to fit a bar behind the seats and maybe another one underneath the dash too - linking the two bars that go through the bulkhead together. Not really sure if they are needed tho - the bar across the scuttle panel is welded to the shell which should stiffen it up a lot - the only place i can think that it might be lacking a little is the one behind the seats.

I'm gonna have a good look at it at the weekend and see how much space there is in there - i've got a few months till it'll be going back for the remainder of the work, so got plenty of time to decide if i want more adding.

16. jonnydiscopants Forum Member

Is there not a strength issue now you have removed the braces from sill to gear tunnel or is it as strong with it like that?

Nice cage btw [:D]

17. jettadan Forum Member

Well, it now has the box sections for the seats welded in though, which link sills to the tunnel and are also attached to the floor, which should replace any strength lost. I'm hoping that the B pillar loop has been welded to the floor as close as possible to the rear beam mounts - its too dark to see at the mo and its on the trailer now - and like i said I might add another bar but need to check out seats first as the passenger one is slightly behind the drivers one. I'll take more pics in the light at the weekend to show everything thats been done. It is something that i discussed with the bloke earlier this week, and we agreed that if i decided to add one, it could be done when it goes back.

On another note, i've just ordered a Peloquin 02A diff and bolt kit from the US, and earlier arranged dropping the engine off at Racepower a fortnight on saturday, so moving along nicely now [:D] .

18. Polog4tracer Forum Member

Awesome Mate!:thumbup:

19. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, proper job , if I had another car to use as a road car, that's the kind of cage I would've gone for. :)

20. Golden Forum Junkie