Mk1 Rear disc conversion help needed!

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Nick Evans, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Nick Evans New Member

Morning all, I’m really stuck. Bought a load of bits to convert my mk1 to disc from drum setup at the rear. Instead of buying the complete “kit” I thought I’d buy it separately as it was much cheaper and I actually got better parts out of it, most of it is meyle and got some X drilled discs, etc, all designed for a mk2, which was meant to all fit. So the carrier sits too far out from the stub causing it to jam the disc on one side. I’m useless with trying to upload these photobucket pics so I just need to explain best I can. I’ve been told that because I’m using 8v carriers means they fit differently? But then all the carriers available are all 8v. I haven’t got as far as fitting the callipers yet for obvious reasons but the disc is sitting good and the bearings are fitted properly. If I need 16v carriers they seem much harder to find! Any help would be appreciated

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

8 and 16v rear carriers and calipers are the same.

3. Nick Evans New Member

See I’ve been told by a couple people that they are a few mm thinner which is why I’m having a clearance issue, not sure what else it would be unless the bearing is sitting too far down the hub inside

4. Tristan

I wonder have you newer, Polo or mk4 Golf carriers.... The discs, have they the wheel bearing hub as part of them, or is the hub separate?

5. Nick Evans New Member

They’re mk2 8v carriers, the discs are for mk2 and pretty sure mk3 and polo too, had to tap in the mk2 bearing casing for the roller bearing to sit in as normal

6. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

As above, you may have the wrong carrier(s). Have you tried swapping the carriers over? That way you'll know if the problem is with one of the carriers or one side of the car.

7. Nick Evans New Member

Carriers are both the same, all the parts are brand new

8. Tristan

Part number on the carrier?

9. Tristan

If you want to email me pics I'll upload them for you.

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk2 and mk3 carriers are the same fit from 1984-1998, so I suspect the carriers you've been supplied are incorrect. I helped out another guy on facebook a while ago who had exactly same issue and as soon as used genuine carriers were fitted the problem went away.

11. Nick Evans New Member

T
    they're meyle mk2 carriers :( same place that supplied the other mk2 meyle parts for me, Murray’s direct I think the Ebay shop was called. Would you have a link to what I need by any chance dude?

12. Tristan

https://7zap.com/en/part/VAG/1H0615425/

Ask Brendon Moss Dubstock , or Niall Clarke Retro Spares, they should have them.
    Mk2, 3 and 4 calipers will all fit on Mk2 or mk3 carriers, with slight differences to the pipes and sometimes handbrake cables, Mk2 and 3 carriers are the same.

13. Nick Evans New Member

They’re
    I don’t understand why they don’t fit then cause meyle generally is oe spec

14. Tristan

They might be for a Polo or Lupo, which look very similar.

15. Nick Evans New Member

Spoke to mark carter he shed some light on this, they’re the wrong part number for what I need, these are for g60, corado etc which I thought was right but I need different ones and he gave me the part numbers I needed so it’s all good

16. Tristan

Possibly 4wd might be different, but Corrado should be the same.

17. Nick Evans New Member

We’ll find out when my new ones come in a couple days, will update this to let you know the outcome

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah g60 and corrado ones are the same as normal mk2 golf, the rear calipers did change in 1988 but the discs & stub axles are all still the same measurements so mixing and matching stuff still works fine. 6n polo carriers do work also, mk4 golf don't