Mk2 1.3

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by pistol pete, Feb 26, 2010.

1. pistol pete Forum Member

Hi Gents

Picked up this earlier today

Haven't got any of my own pics yet as it hasn't stopped raining[8(]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran great on the way home not a rattle or squeak anywhere :p

Everything feels nice and tight although it feels super slow after driving my GTi

First jobs:

Remove pin stripes

Body colour mirror caps and tailgate plinth

Black VW nose badge

blast and powder coat the steel wheels

New plates with the larger pre 2001 font (anyone know of any suppliers for these?)

Apart form the mirrors / plinth and the badge going to try and keep it all original

I'll update as i go :)

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Thats mint :thumbup:
    Low mileage too

How much did it set you back....

3. pistol pete Forum Member

Thanks Richard

cost me a 1000

4. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Very clean - looking forward to seeing this progress.

5. coullstar Forum Member

First car was one of these, 4 or 5dp? I woudlnt paint the mirrors white though.

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Well worth it tbh for a shell like that :thumbup:

The boot looks like its never been used.

Any plans for an engine conversion down the line then... ;)

7. pistol pete Forum Member

Thanks for all the replys :thumbup:

Its a five speed crusies along great at seventy, have got a 2nd set of mirrors to paint these will be going into a box so i can always refit them down the line

Yes the boot is unmarked its one of the first things that caught my eye [:$]

To be honest I have though about getting a low spec golf like this for a few years now, built it many times in my head :lol: plan was s3 engine, uprated suspension and ARBS, wilwoods, quaife atb, sticky tyres on G60 steelies and leave the rest as is, would be prefect on this car as its CE2 and no sunroof

However I find now most of my driving now is just pootling round town plus we're saving for a house so the low running costs are a real bonus

pete

8. theboymike Forum Junkie

Looks super clean.. top marks for keeping it stock too :thumbup:

9. pistol pete Forum Member

Thanks Mike

I was reading your thread before on the red valver, top work !

10. theboymike Forum Junkie

Cheers dude :)

I can appreciate your hankering for a sleeper.. was tempted to reshell my old crashed 16v into a base spec car, but nancied it in the end as it would have been a lot of work.

I think as long as it stays stock in appearance and you don't do anything that's irreversible / other than bolt on it'll do well.

Have you considered some pressed plates from Dubmeister? This is the route I'd go with plates if I had any disposible funds.. road legal and still a bit retro looking, although obviously in the current font.

Think you'll struggle to get plates in the old font, unless you can get them for "show use" and convince plod that they're the originals / predate the change in legislation..

11. pistol pete Forum Member

worst update ever :lol:

thought i had struck gold earlier in the month when i found a suplier who could provide the old font they also could fit any image on the plate :p a friend knocked me up a scotts dealer jpeg using the VAG rounded font

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAG_Rounded

sadly the trail went cold and I had to make other arangements [:^(]

Had these knocked up they are not 100% accurate (apparently the correct font is called Charles Wright OLD) they are the same width as the old pre 2001 font which is the main thing, havent given up on the dealer plates though [:-B]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Found a local place who can powdercoat the wheels for a reasonable cost so thats the next task, whilst its up on axle stands i'll be tidying up the inner wheel arches

hopefully now the weather has picked up i can get on with it a bit quicker

12. m.1.e Forum Member

really miss my mk2 makes me want to buy another 1! they look so nice in white!!
    minter mate!

13. Peter Forum Member

I finally sorted out getting my original profile back, last login 2006!

Another small update, no pics i'm afraid cars is at my parents whilst i do the work and i keep forgetting my camera [:$]

Pinstripes are off and i took the arch liners out, cleaned the inner arches up came up really well although i'm planning to repaint them with por15 whitecote

Managed to get a tailgate plinth in L90 which was great, be tackling the spare wing mirrors next week all being well

Radio arrived this morning i know its not correct fitment for a UK market car but it matches the dashboard perfectly, really like the way the hatching on the buttons matches the hatching on the column stalks [:$]

[​IMG]

Went to the dealers at lunch for some small bits of trim and bolts,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  14. Peter Forum Member

Bit more progress made during the good weather

Got the car up on stands so i could take the wheels to be powder coated whilst it was up in the air i washed out the inner arches (unpainted in these pictures)

Looking in a bit of state at the minute paint work is very flat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

took teh arch liners out and cleaned them to, took forever :(

wheels turned out really nice havent cleaned the tyres yet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some matching silver to do the plastic centre caps

Painted arches

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really pleased with how these turned out, the paint was quite thin so although i used a brush it flowed really smoothly,

Plates arrived to, very happy with them, dealer details, VAG blue border and large pre 2001 font, just what i wanted :) my friend in work knocked up the artwork for me took a bit of detective work got the contact details and logo from an old autocar and another guy in work had VAG rounded on his machine so that worked out well, still have the protective film over so the colours dont quite come through in the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up another radio i though the basic spec matches the car reall well although i'm having difficulty sorting the display illumination

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  15. G60RCaol Forum Member

This is awesome... 1300's are brilliant

16. theboymike Forum Junkie

Looking super clean - the finish on the wheels looks excellent too [8D]

Liking the plates - mind if I ask how much and from where? I'm assuming they're technically not road legal, but it would take an eagle-eyed plod to spot that they weren't original..

17. Peter Forum Member

Thanks gents :)

mike i'll pm you all the details

18. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

wow! super clean! what paint did you use on the arches??

19. Peter Forum Member

Thanks mate

Used a brush on two pack paint with a flex additive my local paint supplier mixed it up for me in the correct code

Being white I can seeing tar being a bit of a pain a wipe over with some tardis should get most of it off

some more goodies arrived

Trimsport stainless battery clamp got one of these on my 16 valve, nice mod as the stock ones generally get pretty crusty

[​IMG]

New black nose badge and wiper bung (have a new gasket for this)

[​IMG]

Mats arrived today wanted the later grid pattern rather than the striped versions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really grubby at the minute but they are in great order with no wear patches or holes

Pete

20. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Thats really nice, looked very tidy before you started tinkering.

I've been wanting some 'oem' plates for a while now and had been thinking about contacting the original dealer to see if they could help. However, if you were able to do these as a little sideline i reckon you'd have a few takers. I know i'd be interested.