Mk2 1.8 8v to 2l 8v

Discussion in '8-valve' started by nayhorn, Jun 6, 2011.

1. nayhorn Forum Member

Just a quick question, How sort of tempature should the oil be running at?

Thanks

Nathan

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

around 90-110ish. maybe more depending on your driving and how hot ambients are

3. nayhorn Forum Member

Thanks for that, just thought I would double check.

Another question now!!!

The car start and runs fine now.
    Untill I try and start it when it's warm. It refuses to start whilst the car is still hot.
    Any ideas? Hope it turns out to be something simple!

Cheers

4. rubjonny

does it crank over ok? my guess would be failing ecu temp sensor, but check for a spark and all the usual stuff first

5. XRMike Forum Member

Have you got a Lambda sensor fitted?

6. nayhorn Forum Member

Sorted it now, Put a new dizzy on and it fires up all the time now, Big thanks to everyone thats gave me information,

Cheers

Nathan

7. XRMike Forum Member

Goodstuff! Glad you have sorted it!

8. nayhorn Forum Member

yeah, Its really nice to dirve, Just got to sort all the little niggles out now!

9. nayhorn Forum Member

Having a few more more problems with it now :(
    If i dont dirve it everysday the battery goes dead, now i know thsi isnt the battery as its had a brand new battery on it, Any ideas?

Also when i start the car up from cold its got a terrible missifre, could this be due to a combination of cheap leads and plug?

any help is greatly apprciated, as this is doing my nut in now!

cheers

Nathan

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

check that all the wiring to the alternator is good. If its looking a little old I would change for new and make sure everything is connected up as it should be. If the battery still goes flat after your initial checks then it could be the alt.

11. WillG

WillG Forum Member

^ what he said, also check the voltage at the battery with the engine running (idle and fast) to check the alt is actually charging the battery.

If not, double check your ignition timing, I've had symptoms before of flat battery every morning and it was the dizzy being far too retarded(?) iirc.

12. nayhorn Forum Member

Cheers for that guy, ill check that later, im nto too sure if its got something to do with the after market alarm thats on there

Nathan

13. nayhorn Forum Member

Right folks question time again haha, The car isnt idling roguht and i think its got something to do with the isv, would th isv from a mk2 16v work?

Nathan

14. rubjonny

yeah i think so, 2.0 8v 2e code one is direct swap for sure

15. nayhorn Forum Member

Thanks for that, Just to confirm, Its hunting but there is no air leaks from anywhere, would the next logical step be a isv? Oh it's also had a new blue temp sensor, plug and wiring because it was running rough.

Thanks for any help

Nathan

16. rubjonny

could be the idle switch or wiring to it? should hear idle switch click just as throttle closes, and check wires to the throttle switch plug on the back of the tb. to test wiring and ecu hold throttle just open to about 1500 rpm then press the wot switch on top, revs should fall then rise again when you release.

17. nayhorn Forum Member

Right got the thing idling okay, but last night after i came home i noticed it had poured its oil out from the oil filter, now i know this usually means piston rings? but its not smoking or anything, could this be caused by a blocked breather pipe? and also on the front of the agg block there a housing and pipe that go to the mk3 rocker cover, i have made a pipe to go on out of mk3 and mk3 pipes from when i first did the conversion, does this need to be block off?

thanks in advance

Nathan

18. rubjonny

could just be a seal has gone in the filter, or its actually coming from one of the pressure switches so check the boots arnt full of oil. also a symptom of a failed pressure relief valve in the oil pump as it makes oil pressure too high. if it was rings id expect it to smoke a lot.

nothing wrong with plumbing in the breather properly, in fact its recommended rather than blanking off as they can breathe a bit too heavy for just the rocker cover breather

19. nayhorn Forum Member

Yeah its actually blowing the pip out through were you screw the oil filter on, so there's definatly to much pressure somewhere I'd say

20. rubjonny

if its not smoking out the back id say pressure is too high, oil prump issue id say