Mk2 1.8 8v to 2l 8v

Discussion in '8-valve' started by nayhorn, Jun 6, 2011.

1. nayhorn Forum Member

Is there any way to test the oil pump?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

with an oil pressure gauge!

3. nayhorn Forum Member

This may sound a bit stupid, but to get a reading from a oil pressure gauge wouldn't i need the engine running? Also where is the Oil pump in the engine?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Nathan

4. nayhorn Forum Member

Also another thought is that could it be something blocked in the head? I'm only thinking this because it did this when it had a 1.8 bottom end on this, the head is the only thing that hasn't been replaced

5. rubjonny

yes you need to have the car running to see what pressure the oil is at, the pump is at the bottom of the engine so the sump needs to come off.

unlikely a blocked oil passage in the head would do it, theres a lot of oil ways in there so it should be able to bypass a blockage if need be

6. nayhorn Forum Member

So is there any way of testing it without the car running? Because as soon at the car fires up is shoots the oil out..

Nathan

7. rubjonny

not really no, but if oil is squirting out of a sensor then it needs to be replaced, regardless of any other oil pressure problems. you could just thread an m10x1 blanking bolt or another random sensor just for the test. or put your oil pressure gauge in that hole ;)

8. nayhorn Forum Member

I wish it was that simple lol, It's just busting the seals out of the oil filter, SO i took the oil filter housing off and gave that a good clean, did the same thing, so now I've got the oil pump off, and there some marks on it Should they be there?

[​IMG]

And is there any way to test the relief valve why its off?

Nathan

9. rubjonny

you will get some scoring, cant really tell how bad that is. the relief valve is in the side but not really sure what you can do to check it, tbh if it was me I'd just buy a new pump

10. nayhorn Forum Member

fitted a new pump and this time, it idled but as soon as you touch the throttle it spits it out again stupid car lol

11. nayhorn Forum Member

Right the car is off the road now, The only thing i can think it could be is the head, because it did this on the old engine, and now we've put the head on this engine its done the same, so i think its got something to do with the head. I'm going to take the head off tomorrow, is there any checks i can do on it to make sure nothing is blocked up?

Thanks

Nathan

12. nayhorn Forum Member

I took the head off yesterday, and there's water in number 4 bore, but the head gasket looks fine and there's no cracks or damage to the actual head itself, anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Nathan

13. rubjonny

it could have got in there after you split the head, there will be some water and oil stuck in there so it;ll fall into the bores when it comes off. does that piston look any cleaner than the rest though, if so then it had a hg leak

14. nayhorn Forum Member

i thought i would check the piston rings by putting paraffin in the cylinders and leaving it over night, and on number 4 cylinder in the morning there was none left,does this mean that the piston rings have gone?
    Also could this be something to with the head, as the old engine did this, and the only bit of the old engine i have swapped over is the head, or is it one big coincidence?

Cheers

Nathan

15. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

might just be worth stripping it all down and doing a quick rebuild on the bottum end, sounds like a set of rings to me. quick skim of the head if you have not had that done before to make sure it is flat. then back together and in the car

16. nayhorn Forum Member

As I've got a 1.8 bottom end lying around, The problem is the rings went in it, so would that just be a case of a set of new rings and cleaning the bores up, and bolting it back up?

17. rubjonny

you would need to hone the bores, for the price and faff of all that prob cheaper to get another good bottom end

18. nayhorn Forum Member

Right now to hunt for a bottom end, anyone got a bottom end they want to sell me?

Nathan

19. nayhorn Forum Member

Right I've found a new PB engine but its got a hydraulic clutch on it, is this just a case or swapping it over for my old box? also, if i wanted to run the hydraulic clutch what would i have to swap over?

Nathan

20. rubjonny

yeah unbolt hydro stuff and fit your 020 bits job done. which hydro clutch do you mean? im assuming its a cable shift box, or do you mean its got the later 020 box with hydro actuator? either way you would need a passat/corrado pedal box, clutch master and pipe work. pretty sure the 020 actuator will still plug into this setup and work just fine