Mk2 16v 1988. Fuel pump not priming ignition

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mackieGTI, Feb 3, 2018.

1. mackieGTI New Member

Hi guys.

I have just been over to storage to have a look at my golf that i havent seen for about 3 year plus. I put a new battery on it and being a bit reluctant to start it due to the thought of the cam belt snapping i tried it anyway.

It cranks over fine but wont fire. I did notice with the first turn of the key i should be able to hear the fuel pump prime and buzz for at least 5 seconds but im getting no sound at all.

If i remember right is it the lift pump in boot that primes? Whats the best thing to check?

With no tools really or not multimeter i hope to go back armed with some information.

Clearly i can check the supply at pump first and work back. I work as a maitnenance electrician so fault finding is second nature but i have no wiring diagrams and the car is about 10 miles away just need some input for when i turn up next time.

2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

They're wired in parallel. Board to boot first then it splits off into lift/main. The latter follows the flow pipe underneath. You can check the lift pump flow rate its 300cc in 10 seconds.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you swap the 18 relay into slot 2 both fuel pumps should come on with the ignition. if they do everything on the fusebox -> pump side is fine, concentrate on the ecu and wiring to it. there is a 2 pin spade plug in the scuttle that goes between the ecu loom and fusebox loom, its not sealed so corrosion can build up here. check the coil wiring as well, the spade with the black and black/white wires in it is what powers the ecu and spark module.

if nothing with the 18 relay in slot 2, then look at the fuel pump relay and fuse socket for corrosion/damage, also look for dodgy wire taps on the red/yellow fuel pump power wire on the rear wiring loom and any loose brown wires kicking about near the fusebox that need to be plugged into the earth claw.

4. Justin Clements New Member

Did this ever get solved? Have exactly the same issue, started years ago, never solved and car put into storage. But would be nice to get the old girl out.

I'm seeing 10-11v continuous on the rear loom plug to lifter, and I see a 0.9v for 5 seconds on a different contact. Relay 18 has been replaced and you can hear the tick off after 5 seconds of ignition position 1. I've checked the lifter pump with 12v with it out of the car and it works fine, as does the main pump under the car.

FWIW, this is one of the only threads in 7 years (not that I look often) that has mentioned this issue.

5. rubjonny

relay 18 is the x-contact for wipers, blowers etc. but if you put it in the fuel relay socket the fuel pumps should run while ignition is on which helps when trying to diagnose issues. pre-90 fuel relay is in slot 2, post-90 its slot 12 :)

6. mackieGTI New Member

Hello again,

sorry i didn't follow this up in the end due to health issues the move of the golf was put on hold.

so i been back to storage unit and the golf hasn't fixed itself lol

again cranks fine but wont fire up.

i checked the supply at fuse 5 its, 12v for a few seconds when ignition turned and relay 2 holds in and drops out so i guess that good, swapped relay with the x relay 18 to have the permanent supply to test.

i checked for 12V in boot at connector at lift pump and that is present, as its paralleled up with the pump underneath i would imagine i would have it there but need to check when i can get access to it.

so if it is im guessing it could be a faulty main pump?

its just that distinctive buzz you get when you first turn the key that im not hearing.

7. rubjonny

if you definitly have 12v at both lift and main pump with the X relay fitted and nothing out the pumps either battery is extremely low or your pump(s) are knackered yep

8. mackieGTI New Member

although i had 12v in lift pump at back it wasnt making much noise, can any one help find a suitable replacement of pump for 1988 golf 16v? ebay or else where?

9. rubjonny

lifter is pretty quiet, if you can hear something its probably working. can check it like this:
    [​IMG]

for the main pump case of shop around classifieds and ebay, the mk2 8v kjet pump is the same plus you can use one from a corrado and b3/4 passat 16v

VW part number 191906091H, bosch 0580254012

10. mackieGTI New Member

ok mate thank you i will get it out of storage and try that and keep you posted, i mean its not ran in like 8 years or so its in a dark storage unit with lots of other cars, also my

11. mackieGTI New Member

my friend has a mk1 campaign for sale if interested

12. Matthew Walker New Member

Hello

I have a similar problem to MackieGTI. I have a 91 plate GTI 16v and last weekend it died on me like it ran out of fuel (It hadn’t thought).

when I got it home and had the time to look at it I noticed the high pressure fuel pump underneath wasn’t priming when I turned on the ignition. So, I had a look in hear to give my some help and ideas on what cause of the fault might be, so this is where I am at.

I first I went for the quick hits I checked the fuel pump fuse and that was ok, I removed relay 67 and fitted relay 18 in its place and the pump still wouldn’t run.

So i removed the fuel pump fuse again and with the ignition on I checked with my meter what voltage I was getting at the fuse terminals and for a couple of seconds my meter was reading 11.8v then would go to 0v. I checked again multiple times and it was the same. so this made me think that relay 67 was faulty, so I bought a new relay and fitted it and the pump still doesn’t run.

so I fitted relay 18 again and checked what voltage I was getting at the fuel pump fuse terminals and this time I was getting a constant 11.8v but the pump still wouldn’t run when I put the fuse back in.

so next I checked (with relay 18 still fitted) the voltage to both the lift pump and the hight pressure pump both had voltage to them

The hight pressure pump had 11.8v at the plug

The lift pump had 9.8v at the plug (not sure why this was lower)

when I plugged the lift pump back in I could hear it running so I know this pump is working.

so next I tested both my new and old relays to make sure they worked (and to rule out I bought a duff relay) and they did.

So what I can’t understand why both relays 67 are not staying energise when the ignition is on.

Also I’m guessing that if the high pressure fuel pump isn’t working with relay 18 fitted that the pump must be defective.

Sorry this is long winded and I hope all this make sense and TIA for any help.

13. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Connect 12volt + and - directly from the battery to the high pressure fuel pump terminals. If it doesn't run, then a new pump would be a sensible first thing to try.
    Next you can investigate the only 10 volts to the lift pump. An ineffective lift pump may have contributed to the main pump failing.

Matthew Walker likes this.
  14. Matthew Walker New Member

Thanks for the advice h8v
    I’ll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

15. rubjonny

67 relay is triggered by the spark ecu in the scuttle, and that will only prime pump ignition on. from your tests, looks like your main pump is dead. but try it with 12v first, if it does run check fusebox for damage and wiring for corrosion under car. on my mk2 the car started randomly cutting out, lift pump working but main pump not. turned out fusebox had melted round the pump fuse so it could only supply enough amps for lifter not both

Matthew Walker likes this.
  16. Matthew Walker New Member

Thanks for the advice Much appreciated I’ll test the pump to rule that out hope it is just the pump and nothing more sinister.

thanks again

17. Benji87 New Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, I’m trying to contact rubjonny about a problem I’m having with my vw golf gti kjet 1985. I’m trying to find out the name of the valve that is under the bonnet above the fuel distributor rubber intake, it has a vac hose that goes into the distributor rubber intake from it, could it be engine idle regulator? It’s got power at both pins but no earth going to it, would you know where it gets it’s earth from? Kind regards and thankyou in advance.

18. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Can you upload a photo of what you're wanting to identify?

19. Benji87 New Member

Hi hi this is the photo
    s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2021
  20. rubjonny

as if by magic, the image appears :lol:

thats the increased idle control valve fitted to later 8v kjet, its controlled by a relay above the fusebox. either numbered '57' or has a circle sticker half green and half brown with a '1'. First check if the relay is there, iand if so its in the right socket. you'll have at least 2 relays above the fusebox the other for the coolant level warning. drop the fusebox and check wire colours, the increased idle control relay has brown/black, red/black, brown and black or black/yellow. coolant relay is red/blue, brown, yellow/red or yellow/blue and black or black/yellow.

the relay is what triggers the earth to the valve when needed :)