Mk2 16V GTI in tank lift pump query.........compatibility....

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Jon Olds, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

lift pump 3.JPG My mk2 rally car lift pump has failed (reads open circuit..)
    Removed the assembly from the tank and fitted the spare unit (spares kit...)
    Ran for 3 secs then failed. Also open circuit.

So ordered one on line, (cheap : TOPRAN 103562) it came and looked different (longer no prongs on lower end, smaller diameter.

Old one (one out of tank and my 'serviceable' spare) has VW part number : 191 906 092A

Rang round, ordered another locally. It has just arrived , dimensions similar to the TOPRAN one.

So wont fit without modifications lift pump 1.JPG lift pump 2.JPG

Somebody must have been here before........???

See poor quality pictures attached. (1st=VW part no., 2nd is orig shorter fatter pump (note 'prongs' and 2 elastic bands holding bottom of pump), 3rd is new wrong sized long skinny one

Any comments appreciated...

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

More info , for anybody that's interested;

VW dealer (my mate Jim) advises, in summary;

Part number superceded to final one of 357 906 092C
    Pump no longer available, since 2011.

So, he cant help more.

Very very likely all pumps currently available will be to the topran dimensions.

Prices from £14 to £70 being quoted. (£14 is a Magnetti Marelli item, so OE quality

Dimensions are not compatible, so going to have to make mods to get pickup height right. (old pickup head, new pump, shorter connector etc)

Or fit a secondhand unit, or fit a mk3 tank/pump. (I have a VR6 one in the box here)

I'm wondering if these are petrol cooled inside and dry out and then go open circuit, so I'm also going to experiment soaking one in fuel, shaking it etc, to see if it or they come back to life.....

Any comments appreciated
    Jon

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I noticed the same with new pattern pump from GSF around 10 years or so ago, I just made it fit then popped back in the tank. Though exactly what I did is a bit hazy tbh... only thing I remember clearly is how much of a git the rubber pipe is to fit :lol:

MK3 setup is no good to you as kjet pressure is too high, though I guess you could fit a weedy 1.4 pump and use that as your supply.

for testing pop it back into the tank and hook a pipe up to the outlet into a measuring container. swap a 17/18/100 relay into your fuel relay socket and turn the ignition for 10 seconds, you should see at least 300cc of fuel. Maybe do the test cold and again after a good hard run to make sure its not breaking down after a while

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

The lift pump is only to fill the swirl pot, another pump supplies the carbs.
    All sorted thanks, the different sized pump does work with some minor mods
    Jon

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah no worries then, just saw your thread title and assumed it was a 16v on kjet