Mk2 16v KR engine hydraulic lifter replacement.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Rustbuster, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi volks,
    Engine has over 200k on it now and still runs great except… has an evil rattle on start if left overnight, only does it for literally a second but it makes a real clatter when it does it. Listening to the top end when warmed up it is overall a bit rattly now. Just wondering if it’s time to change those lifters for new ones. I’m thinking a set of INA ones from eBay for about £95. Any tips on doing the job gratefully received also.
    Ta!

oh yes, and does anyone know what the recommended life is of these lifter fellas?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  2. Rustbuster

So completed this job and WOW! What a difference it’s made. I had thought with 230k on the clock a bit of a rattle in the engine was ok, but now the job’s finished it sounds like a new engine again and no rattle on startup. Huge difference. Went for INA lifters and an INA cam chain. If people want I could do a how to thread to talk through folk thinking of doing this job as doing this for the first time I learnt a lot along the way. Let me know what you all think? Cheers.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

go for it :)

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Put a thread up as it will help others do the same.

I did mine a long while back including inter-cam chain and lifters and even after being laid up it sounds sweet as a nut.

5. Rustbuster

Right, I’m on it.:thumbup:

KeithMac and Zender Z20 like this.