Mk2/3, k04 fitment 3" Downpipes

Discussion in 'Trackslag.com' started by Trackslag, Jun 9, 2012.

1. thegave Forum Member

I forgot you use the same manifold too so I guess that would make it a two-off.

2. p3nfold Forum Member

Any update on the development of the 3 inch downpipe? My next bought of work is due to start soon on my project.

3. MK1234GOLF New Member

How about mk1 golf 3" DP's??

4. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

Hi funkyfive, we're happy with the space available for mk2/3 applications so we're confident that we can make something that will fit and flow without setting fire to anything. If we get orders for 5 we'll probably go for it.
    Project? Sounds interesting? :)

Mk1234GOLF, we already have reservations about doing a 2.5" item for the Mk1 due to the lack of space, so a 3" version would really be pushing it. I heard a rumour that a longitudinal style manifold/turbo would give a better path for the downpipe?? Does anyone know if this is the case? (nice car BTW) :)

5. p3nfold Forum Member

Hey Matt,

More that interested as always.

6. Trackslag

It's official, it's going to happen.
    We're going to keep the momentum moving from the mk1 downpipes onto these. The Mk1 downpipes will be ready for sale around the beginning of December so we'll be straight onto the 3" 3 bolt k04 style downpipe for Mk2/3 applications (among others)
    It would be handy to know how many to make initially, so once I've worked out the best way of doing lists in threads, I'll put some names up and we can add as we go.
    The price of these is a little unclear yet, but there will obviously be an increase over the 2.5" version.
    Discussion of these, brought up the fact that people are still asking for an exhaust to compliment their new downpipes. You've guessed it already, we're going to do one. Keep an eye on the exhaust thread for details :)

7. p3nfold Forum Member

Count me in Matt!!

8. Trackslag

Hi Martin, you're in!
    It's down to you, as it was your persistence that made this happen. Thank you :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  9. Trackslag

Well it's all been happening this week!!
    Monday was looking like a total disaster and I was planning my "sorry, it wasn't possible" speech. Tuesday however, was a much better day.
    Getting the pipework to fit, flow and be reliable was a real challenge with this one.
    There definitely will not be a bigger version than this as it simply would not fit. Whilst we are now happy with the fit of the downpipe, you'll have to make sure that your engine mounts are both up-rated and in good order. If your engine dances around on its mounts, then you're asking for trouble as space is at a premium.

I'll have some prices and pictures together tomorrow :thumbup:

10. Trackslag

Sneak peak, still quite warm!
    [​IMG]

As you can see, there's a lot more work and materials involved in making the 3" version. You can see that we've terminated the downpipe with a proper cone reducer making a smooth transition to couple with your existing (hopefully Trackslag) 2.5" system.
    It will be supplied with nuts, bolts and a gasket to bolt the two parts together but we've found that most people have already sourced their own turbo to downpipe gasket.
    [​IMG]

It will be a couple of weeks before you can "click to buy" these but we'll be dealing with the initial demand as best as possible.
    They'll be coming to you at 299 plus delivery at a tenner!

11. Trackslag

I'll be sending this one to Martin, a.k.a Funkyfive tomorrow. Santa's coming early :)

[​IMG]

This one is to give things a bit of scale.

[​IMG]

12. p3nfold Forum Member

Cheers Matt, received this morning, awesome piece of engineering!!!! Going to aim to fit this in the next two weeks.

13. Trackslag

Thanks Martin, glad that you're happy.

Funkyfive was an early adopter of our 2.5" version of this, so it's going to be interesting to see the difference between the two.
    He's very kindly offered to share his findings when it's fitted.
    Cheers dude :thumbup:

14. p3nfold Forum Member

Hi guys,

I fitted the downpipe yesterday evening with Ben @ Parsonsperformance.

A few pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I get a chance I will post some better pictures.

So the fitting,

I'll be honest if you have two post ramp it helps alot. Only components removed to allow easy installation was the driver side drive shaft and rear engine mount to gain access to the bolts, bags of room. Fitting the 3 inch is very easy and the move from 3 bolt to 2 bolt flange is a great improvement as room is tight due to the change of design to get this to fit. The bolts are easy to get too.
    The only component that I felt was a little too close for comfort was one of the turbo lines of which we moved a fraction with a large flat headed screw driver.

So benefits

It sounds alot smoother on idle and on song is sounds evil.
    Seems to be alot less raspy compared to the 2.5inch variant
    Cannot comment on boost pattern/delivery as I am running closed loop on chat, but it does feel that boost is alot smoother, I am expecting boost to hold for longer and more BHP and Torque
    Not proven yet but I am expecting the EGT to be lower

I recommended to Matt to possibly extend the length a little as I used a sleeve. Otherwise guys this is an awesome piece of craftsmanship and I am 110% happy with the outcome.

Lets see what the results are when I do a dyno run at the end of the month so the map will be tweaked and i'll post the plotting charts before and after

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  15. Trackslag

Great news, thank you for your honesty. It's always nice to hear from the first person to part with their hard earned cash.

Good idea with the driveshaft and engine mount removal, we removed one of the turbo studs to make fitting easier but we were aware of the fact that some may struggle with this approach.
    This was designed and built on a MK2 , so we knew that it would fit Mk2's but knowing that it also fits the Mk3 platform properly is great news!
    I'm glad that you're seeing benefits straight away but feel that the real fun is yet to come, in the form of a visit to your mapper :)
    Can't wait to see your comparisons.

My only regret so far is that I can't be there to hear it.

16. Trackslag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. p3nfold Forum Member

Hi Matt been some time. Well bad news on my part, I crashed the golf so did not get the chance to get her on the rolling road. On a plus point I have both a 3inch and 2.5inch decat trackslag downpipes for sale. PM me if you are interested guys.

18. Trackslag

Shame about the car but glad that you're ok. That'll be a very low mileage 3" downpipe then....? ;)

19. p3nfold Forum Member

Cheers buddy.

20. richgit Forum Junkie

Mine's all ordered up (downpipe and full 2.5'' system), cannot wait to receive it [:D]