Mk2 8v fuel consumption figures

Discussion in 'Engines' started by thecreaser, Apr 11, 2006.

1. thecreaser New Member

Guys,

My MFA says I never do better than 22mpg and I drive with a light right foot most the time. Clearly something is not right but I haven't investigate the cause yet.

First off, does anyone know the official VW fuel consumption figures for an unmodified PB engine Mk2 8valve 1990?

Assuming the MFA is correct, what are the first things to check for?

Any words of advice are greatfully received :)

2. farquare Forum Member

well i dont know if this is much help to you but i have an 8v gti (althought it has a 2l bottom end and a stage 2 head & cam) and i struggle to get 75-80 miles on a 10 (think thats about 30mpg)
    not really sure if this is bag or good tbh.

3. theboymike Forum Junkie

You should be getting high 30's with a stock 8v, especially if it's running digifant... I get about 33mpg out of my 16v.

Don't always assume the MFA is correct, the vacuum hose can split causing them to read low - it's always best to work out your mpg from the miles you've done and the amount you've put in the tank.

At a guess you should be getting close to 400 miles on a full tank before you have to refill.

4. gsxr600nick Forum Member

i've just drove to scotland traveling @ 85ish got mpa read 28mpg but a full tank lasted 320 miles

5. mexicorich Forum Member

My '86 Kjet generally averages 30mpg with a heavy right foot and runs at about 85mph most days

6. Sunscreen Forum Member

My 8v digifant has been doing 100 miles for 20, it was doing 80 miles for 20 at 1 point..........I cant trace a fuel leak and thats the milometer reading not the MFA! According to the MFA I'm doing 99.9mpg...............I wish!

7. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    going on 370 miles on full tank here, 140 miles gunning it on motorway, 140 miles @60 on motorway rest local to work and back averaging out on mfa as 34 mpg, but had it at 43 on mway @60.... mine doesnt lie that much, and its idleing really high/erattic and smells quite rich

8. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

I get about 360 miles on a full tank (standard pb 8v 1991).

9. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

I get about 350 to a tank going pretty much all motorway/A-road driving, and that's driving like a complete maniac for a large part of it...

10. loverofminkys New Member

I've just worked out that I'm getting 38mpg during a trip on the motorway at about 75 - 80, which i'm pretty chuffed with in my 8V gti

11. YAZZ Forum Member

Fuel economy figures

Evening, just thought i'd be sad and give my figures for my mk2 golf gti 8v digi 197k miles.

did a trip to london from sheffield the other day in 3 hrs, took it slow. covered 175 miles at 58 mph and did 41 mpg

on the return trip, again 3 hrs.covered 186 miles at 58 mph and it did 39.9 mpg.

don't know if this is average or good?any ideas please.

12. chopperoli Forum Member

my modified 1.8 carb does 35 top on a motorway, average is around 31 tho :(
    i want a digifant!
    edit: that's MPG not MPH!

13. Red_TN Forum Member

from my 2litre 8v i get around 36 to 40mpg..... and got up to 48 on a run!!!!

Fantastic it is!!!

But off course can get it down to low 20's :p

14. YAZZ Forum Member

thing is i was driving around 70 mph but was doing 80 to 90 now and agin. my air inlet hose has got a big gash in it and the engine smells of petrol(bit rich i think) and i need to change the spark plugs too.

will this affect fuel economy and power?

15. gillm

gillm ***** User

had had this problem , change the coolent temp sensor (blue one on flange) they are around 12 and you should be back to normal again seeing 35 +

16. gtijon Forum Member

I get 35ish with a PB (digifant) driving around enthusiastically. Doing 60 gently on a long run gets me up to 50 or so...

17. toddygti Forum Member

Hi,
    I get a return of 37mpg, or upto 400miles on a tank if I'm good. I'm running a stock 8valver.
    I'd check your vacuum lines as the reading is always misread when they split. Here's a link that will show ya where they are all supposed to lead to aswell.

http://www.diy-golf-mk2.com/vacuum_hose_diagrams.htm

Toddygti

18. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    update 200 mile trip at 52 mph, 47 mpg...... (after sorting co`s, pinking, change blur temp sender and synta oil change) well pleased....

my missus was a bit upset tho, she said i drive like an old t*at

19. pRot3us Forum Junkie

:lol:.

20. chopperoli Forum Member

yeh mine's worked out by calculating real MPG from the miles driven and amount of fuel put in. Made me up an excel spreadsheet which gives average mpg, and a graph etc. PM me if anyone wants a copy to use. only thing is u have to remember to write down mileage and fuel in every time u fill up!